View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Watson
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Favorite Players of all-time for your team

I'm sure this has been done before, but whatever. I was watching some 2003 film of LSU and forgot how key Devery had a role and decided to see what you guys had. Not the best player, not the most productive, not the record holder, just your straight up favorite.

1) Jacob Hester-This guy is what (IMO) every championship team needs. Somebody who will get you from 1/10 to 2/3, and then get you 4 yards on 2/3. 4/2? He'll get 4. Want to pass? He'll go out on the swing route. Want to run somebody else? He'll be the lead blocker? Want to kick a FG? he'll hold. Want to punt? He'll be a gunner. He even played both ways as a LB for a short period of time in the spring his freshman year. Somebody who does the dirty work, gets down between the guards and doesn't take a play off. And being clutch on 4th downs doesn't hurt his legend either (*insert "there is no such thing as clutch" argument here) He had, for lack of a better way to say it, all the right intangibles.

2) Patrick Peterson-I can count on one hand the amount of time he got flat out burned this past year. In the SEC West, That's pretty ****ing special. I know, Weagles will say Fairley is better, Bammers will say Kirkpatrick will be better, but PP7 was the best defensive player in the country, let alone SEC West this year.

3) Devery Henderson-He and Hester are the two players who played key positions and never got enough credit for whatever reason. You could say Henderson was overshadowed by Micheal Clayton, who *was* better in College, but every time Clayton was double covered, Devery was there over the middle, ready to take a crack or flying to the sideline on an out route. Did what he had to do, and he did it well

4) Tommie Hodson-Everybody knows him from the earthquake game, but this kid had no business playing SEC football. And by SEC football, I mean he might have rode the bench at Mississippi State for 3 years. Decent mechanics at best, barely passable arm strength, no mobility, only real compliment was he was semi-accurate. But somehow he found a way to hang in ball game (with support) and almost every win with his start can be accredited to him. When it was all said and done, he was talked up as a Heisman candidate. Which during the running-back heavy 80's is a compliment.

5) Chad Jones-He earned my trust the first half of 2007 as a freshman filling in at a HUGE question mark in our defense as a kid flying around, getting in on plays, always in the picture. He earned my heart with his heroics vs. Bangs II and Alabammer. As a sophomore during the 2008 abortion, he earned my respect as a kid (along with Kelvin Sheppard) who kept fighting throughout the entire miserable year (and earned the "Fighter" nickname). As a Junior, he was switched to FS, and earned my trust locking down a position he had never played before. And earned my heart again with the hit on Joe Adams. If he hadn't gone pro, he wouldn't have gotten in that wreck, and who knows where he might be, along with LSU.

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove