Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #47
tlc12576
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Casual Vs Hardcore- Labels Exploited For Profit And Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Otherwise, I'll come off as if I'm defending EA and that's not the case.

I will say that I don't get the whole 'non-sim' element lingo that you're talking about. OTP is a different way to play the game -- nothing more. So what makes it so "non-sim"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Have to agree with rgiles here tlc. Adding OTP is a feature. It is neither sim nor un-sim. It makes the game no more sim or un-sim than if you added co-op to any shooter. It's just a different mode.

Now, we could argue whether or not EA/ Tiburon should be spending time on anything other than improving gameplay, based on its current state, but that (unfortunately) isn't our call.

There are many customers that think that the gameplay is already perfectly fine (as incredible as that may be to me, but who am I?), and it isn't inconceivable (probably, highly probable in fact) that the devs are pretty satisfied with their work too (I doubt that they go home and think to themselves what terrible programmers they are) so it should surprise no one if they spent time, even a considerable amount of time, on something other than gameplay.

If it were up to me, they'd spend the next 4yrs without releasing the game and totally revamp it (exaggerating... a little bit lol), but I don't expect them to feel the way that I do, and neither should you.

In a perfect world, the world would be perfect.
About my sim vs non-sim reference, I am talking about something that is or is not simulating an actual NFL counter-part. Online/offline franchise, broadcast presentation, uniforms, run blocking AI, sideline catches, Gameplan/Gameflow, etc, are attempting to simulate actual things in the NFL. However, OTP, MUT, Madden coins, "Beyond Broadcast", etc, are EA's "artistic" ideas with NFL themes but do NOT simulate something in the actual NFL.

OTP, which according to Ian took up most of the dev cycle for Madden 11, is not an NFL simulation mode. It allows up to 6 users, 3 on the same team, to basically play a game of backyard football, with NFL teams and players. Boost packs for ratings can be purchased and/or earned to increase player ratings. This mode isn't much more than a NFL version of NBA Jam with more authentic graphics and a full complement of AI players.

That said, I don't have a problem with EA adding OTP, MUT or OPP to Madden. However, anything non-sim being added to an ALLEGED simulation game should not be the main focus and consume the majority of the games development time, especially when the sim things in the game clearly need improvement and more attention.