Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #104
Reejer
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL Designers Podcast #4 w/ Special Guest, Pasta Padre Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
"Customization is king in sports gaming" - Nah, authenticity is king.
I remember playing the earliest Maddens, before they could use actual team names/jerseys. I couldn't wait until they could use the NFL teams. Then I was wanting the actual players. After I got the first two of my wishes fulfilled, I wanted to create myself in the game, and create a new team (and poof it happened).

Ever since Madden went next-gen different aspects of individual game customization have been stripped out of the game, and have left me wanting what we used to have. Like the more robust create-a-team/player from last-gen, and other optional features that have been discontinued.

Pure and complete authenticity is not realistically attainable in a game, EX: How would you like to have Sullivan hike the ball screwy each time you are in the shotgun, or if your team turned the ball over constantly. or if your HB slipped around in the snow (like a figure skater). Yes it would be more realistic, but where do we draw the line between fun and realistic. It would be nice if these situations happened every once and a while, and if weather had an affect on gameplay, but if they happened on a regular (realistic) basis it could get frustrating.

I understand that authenticity is important to you, but if you are able to customize the game you can produce your own sense of authenticity. EX-1: If you think that Donny didn't rate a player authentically, then with customization, you the player can change it. EX-2: If you think that there aren't enough penalties being called, a slider can fix it for you. EX-3: If you don't think that the players are moving at the correct speed, a slider can fix that too.

Even though I do think that there are some bugs, and other aspects that make Madden less desireable than it's predecessors. I do think that Madden has always strived to make the most authentic NFL product that they can, and have tried to keep that as their mantra. And I do believe that the Dev. team has successfully made the Madden series as close to authentic as they can.

Yes I understand that there is stil room for improvement, EX: IR, PS, FA, trade logic, progression/regression, penalties, challenges, physics, and depth. But from the sounds of it, they are working to fix alot of these disfunctional items.

What authentic/sim. aspects that are currently missing in Madden are you guys wanting for M-12' and beyond?

Last edited by Reejer; 01-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.