Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #106
BezO
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL Designers Podcast #4 w/ Special Guest, Pasta Padre Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Pure and complete authenticity is not realistically attainable in a game, EX: How would you like to have Sullivan hike the ball screwy each time you are in the shotgun, or if your team turned the ball over constantly. or if your HB slipped around in the snow (like a figure skater). Yes it would be more realistic, but where do we draw the line between fun and realistic. It would be nice if these situations happened every once and a while, and if weather had an affect on gameplay, but if they happened on a regular (realistic) basis it could get frustrating.
I'm not talking about bad snaps or slipping. I'm talking about things that happen all the time. Some things are just football.

Edge/speed rushing. Players like Dwight Freeney are not represented in the game because there is no AI or animation for what Freeney does on 8 out of 10 pass plays.

Special teams. Everything from double teaming the gunners to middle blocks are absent.

Tiered defensive play calling. In the NFL Def Coords create schemes. They put together stunts, blitzes & coverages. There are no defensive "plays" like there are in Madden, which are extremely limiting unless you learned about football through Madden.

Gap/contain assignments, which is the foundation of run defense is not in Madden.

Engaged player mobility. Not many folks respond when I talk about this but Madden's engaged players can't move until someone wins. IRL, engaged players flow towards the ball. Blockers can't stop a defender from moving laterally without holding, except in Madden. And it kills the spacing & timing on outside runs, and it doesn't allow for the speed rushing I mentioned above.

I'll stop so I don't create another wish list, but understand I could cover an entire page with football essentials absent from Madden. Slips, bad snaps, ect are things that can wait. I'm talking about football fundamentals.

Quote:
I understand that authenticity is important to you, but if you are able to customize the game you can produce your own sense of authenticity. EX-1: If you think that Donny didn't rate a player authentically, then with customization, you the player can change it. EX-2: If you think that there aren't enough penalties being called, a slider can fix it for you. EX-3: If you don't think that the players are moving at the correct speed, a slider can fix that too.
I'm much more concerned about how ratings, penalties & speed are interpreted than I am about them being "correct".

Quote:
Even though I do think that there are some bugs, and other aspects that make Madden less desireable than it's predecessors. I do think that Madden has always strived to make the most authentic NFL product that they can, and have tried to keep that as their mantra. And I do believe that the Dev. team has successfully made the Madden series as close to authentic as they can.
Agreed!

Quote:
Yes I understand that there is stil room for improvement, EX: IR, PS, FA, trade logic, progression/regression, penalties, challenges, physics, and depth. But from the sounds of it, they are working to fix alot of these disfunctional items.
With the exception of physics, which is a very big deal IMO, I could wait on these.