Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #109
BezO
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL Designers Podcast #4 w/ Special Guest, Pasta Padre Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I think it bares being said: Physics certainly could fix a lot of the game's problems, but it's as likely to cause far more if not done well. So far there have been two major sports games to incorporate RTP in a meaningful way; one was completely built around it to the exclusion of a complete football game, the other was done to a very modest degree to ensure problems could be handled without destroying the game.

Madden would have to take the 2nd approach... bringing in physics one year at a time. Personally, I think they're holding off until other things (such as AI and locomotion) are done right, and I absolutely believe this is the way to go. Great physics with terrible AI (see Run Blocking for M10 vs. Run Blocking for M11) is just as problematic as the other way around.
I'd have to see the improved version of course, but I'm guessing I'd be OK with an animation/ratings driven physics system. I just need it to LOOK good and realistic regarding ratings, size, angles, ect. I wonder which would be more work though, getting the current system to look realistic or incorporating "true" physics.

And I hope they're holding off until they get AI & locomotion/animations right. IMO, those are the most important areas of the game. From running to player interaction to how & what players react to just doesn't look like football yet. I have faith though. I just think it's a matter of time. It's the amount of time that's kicking my ***.