View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Pythons80
Rookie

OVR: 0
Good article, but my hunch is that a biennial release schedule would cut their profits nearly in half which is why they haven't done it to this point (I'm sure they've considered it, they are a business after all). EA's monopoly on sports games does funny things to the consumer. Like you say, every year EA is basically treating its paying customers as beta testers. However, how many of us are refusing to buy the next title because of it? Maybe a few but most of us are so enthralled with the idea of sports video games and so hopeful that the myriad of problems will be fixed that we buy the games anyways even if it is mostly just a roster update. As consumers of this niche market, what other options do we have? There are no other comparable firms in the marketplace releasing a similar product so we buy it anyways.
Anyways, I guess my point is that EA doesn't care about the consumer and like any firm that wants to survive in the marketplace they put profits above all else, including quality of the product and happiness of the consumer.