View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
RaychelSnr
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA CEO: Game Discs Not Going Away Any Time Soon

Relax OSers, you are still going to be able to physically own your games for some time to come -- at least if John Riccitiello, the CEO of Electronic Arts, has anything to say about it.

Quote:
"Do I believe longer term that the disc will go away? Not any time soon," he said. "I think the disc can actually be a great starting point for a digital business, like an MMO, World of Warcraft, for instance. Pushing that off to the side for a minute, we make services, we don’t make products, and I think the challenge I would have in answering the question the way you framed it is I don’t think people want a streaming game service. I think they want their games to work. At times, that will be delivered best with streaming. At times, you should just download the game."

Riccitiello also mentions that while physical discs are still the future, downloading and streaming products have overtaken their physical disk counterparts as the top money maker for the company.

The real loser in this movement to digital copies as opposed to retail copies are physical disc stores like Gamestop, whose business models are on borrowed time it seems.
Advertisements - Register to remove