View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #18
TNT713
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two....

A few things...

First, I didn't read the entire thread. Just the beginning. I'm amazed that there are still players that don't think Special Teams are important in Madden.

1) I like the fact that I'm in charge of the kick. I am adamantly against automatic kicking/punting because it takes control out of my hands - which is why I play video games in the first place.

2) Kicking is simple (as it should be) but its not easy... "Easy" suggests that it's hard to screw up, when its the exact opposite. The kick meter forces players to focus on kicks unlike the stick method. Slough off and miss the timing of the three button presses and that short FG ends up being a lost possession with no points.

3) The return game in Madden is also important. Players that rely on the stock plays to work right out of the box are likely to have trouble. On kickoffs, the Return Middle plays work well most of the time and the Return Left/Right plays work with directional kicks. The number of possible punt returns (Left, Middle, Right, Block Return, and Double Safe) mean there are options in the return game as well, should we choose to use them.

I'm not saying its perfect. It's not. I too would like to see more blocked FG/Punts... But like the OP said, blocks have been attributed to cheese for so long that 'honest' Madden players won't even attempt to block a FG or a punt.

One thing is sure... Removing aspects of user control to pave the way for percentages to have a larger affect on game play is a HORRIBLE precedent.

Later