View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #1154
greenieblue
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco
Hello Greenie,

yesterday I was able to play some games with 3.5 and coach profiles. Sliders are great as usual. I've seen a raise in my turnovers due to stealing and hands sliders. The stealing sliders has created more turnovers under the basket when a player is stripped while trying to go for a layup (I'm sure this was your purpose). Human turnovers are usually more than CPU. Latest posts confirm this. As a result numbers are ok but extra attention is again needed on every pass, adding more difficulty to an already tough All-Star Level.

I was hoping to increase the dropping CPU TO rates, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. I think what has happened is that blocks are often counted as steals, therefore decreasing the block slider has decreased CPU TO. Since raising hands and play passing lanes seems to have very little effect on CPU TO, I plan to drop them back down to their previous level.

Another slider that did good is raised on-ball defense. This helps you a lot in defense against driving opponents. I remember at 51 the ballhandler could drive to the basket with much less effort, due to the defender being unable to stop him in any possible way.

This one is really a delicate balance (coupled with ballhandling, I believe), because you don't want the CPU to dribble into a defender for 3 seconds and then settle for a jumper. After all, most of the reason for the move to AS was the increase in the CPU's Offensive AI. I assume most of you play on-ball D most of the time, which verily negates the need to worry about it, but I focus mostly on CPU play because these things rise to the surface one way or another. But, yes, the main idea is to help the human's CPU controlled teammates get a handle on the monster that is the CPU offense and aid with HUM v. CPU perimeter matchups. It may go down 1, but I think it's about right.

With the latest sets I'm getting a very accurate FGA also. I always used to have 10 FGA less than CPU, but lately our numbers are almost even.

I think it's practically impossible to get incorrect FGA-- the court is such and such wide, such and such long, the players are yay big and the ball is whatever it is. I think the fluctuation lies in the FTA, which usually favor the human. Player speed may have an impact, but it's 6 below default. Some people prefer to set run plays to 100 or offensive tempo down, but I don't think you change anything but removing team play variety by doing this.

If you add FGA and FTA, you should be in the 90-120 range. If you include both teams, you should be at 100 over 82 games.

So everything looks darn good. I still find VERY difficult to win a game, even if I'm playing with a top team. In my last games I played on-ball defense. If you play it good you can really bother the CPU and you can see the opponent hesitating a lot, much more than when a CPU teammate takes care of him. You get more satisfaction but more errors are always around the corner. I beat again Dallas (this must be a kind of joke), the team which has the best record in my association. Yes I won, but I got so frustrated that I was kind of upset at the end. I was up by 7 at 1.30 left in the game and I dominated Dallas all game long, being at one point up by 19. I know you won't agree with this, but this time I really felt cheated. With 16 seconds left I was up by two and at the line. An 80% free throw shooter missed BOTH. Next action Dallas makes an error, I rebound with Nelson and foul. Again an 80% free throw shooter, makes 1 of 2 (1 of 4 with two 80% average FT shooter). Next action ridicolous 3 pointer by Kidd, with Nelson all over him. He passes the 3PT line, TURNS HIS BACK the other way and goes beyond the 3PT line, turns AGAIN the other way around and hit a buzzer beater to tie, he didn't use a hotstep. At the end I won in OT by 1, but what bothered me is that a team which is completely dominated all game long should lose with a good margin, not make an impossible run like this, it was very unrealistic unfortunately.

It seems like FT misses come in bunches now, as opposed to pre-patch. I don't think this is AS specific phenomenon. I don't think the CPU will make you miss free throws at the end of the game. I think you are letting the CPU get into your head. I have played 20 games on AS and I can't point to one incident of computer impropriety. Occasionally, I'll tip my cap to their brilliance.

Next game I lost to the Thunder (top team in power rankings). I was no match, Durant scored 54 points (!!) and everytime he went on the bench I made a run, but not enough to bother them (Westbrook is out, and the starting PG made a carrer record 16 assists, c'mon now... eh eh). I played good defense and scored 100 points, so my game was fine, but Thunders shoot 54% from the floor at the end. Impossible to win against such an opponent. Howard is always a double-double, grabbing almost 20 rebounds in my last games and blocking more and more. Carter shoot 7 of 14 from 3PT range and all 5 starters scored in double figure. I couldn't play better than this, but Durant is out of this world.

You should have set Durant's on-ball and off-ball defense to play tight and doubled him always.

Having said that, I still believe that CPU si more accurate that Human on shooting. I still miss wide open shots sometimes (ok), CPU never does unfortunately. Another grip based on my games: when I win (won 3 games out of 10 so far on All-Star) CPU shoots around 40%, when I lose CPU shoots 50% or more, no between numbers so far. But I see other people getting different numbers, so no big problem.

In the NBA there really isn't much of a difference between open or contested shots. About 95% of all shots are contested and the same percentages go in. I'm not saying you shouldn't work to get good shots, I think it's crucial on AS, but open/covered is irrelevant. I notice no difference between my ability to hit shots and the CPU's. I think in some games they just take better shots, and get closer to the rim.

I'm getting better and I'm more confident now on All-Star, but games like the one against Dallas makes you feel that 80% of gametime is pointless when you are ahead, because CPU can overcome you anytime in a 2 min span. You are sure to win only if you are up by 20 with 2 min remaining.

I hope my defense will improve again. I still haven't tried your defensive settings.

Outstanding job with the sliders, you couldn't do better. Shoot distribution and the way every team play is almost perfect.

Thanks, Ces. Couldn't have done it without you.

Replies in bold.