View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #339
cardsleadtheway
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Biggest Hope for 11!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I don't have the boxscores right now, but I did look into this myself after another poster mentioned that other than when a shutout of a team happened, something like 95% of his games (over nearly 3 complete seasons) had a "comeback" inning (an inning where if Team A scored, Team B immediately followed with a run).
Ah yes, I do remember this conversation. Remember what I said in that the it [comeback inning] only had to happen once a game. I had quite a few lop sided games in my third season, much more so than in the first two season. The main reason for this is Adam Dunn. In the first two seasons, I had a lot more close games (kind of fits with your runs scored average versus runs allowed).

Another thing I have noticed in my third season is that while by runs and average have all increased as a team, my ERA got worse. There was a definite correlation between the two in my franchise, even though the pitching staff remained the same. I don't buy for a second the line that the CPU doesn't know the score. If that were the case, they wouldn't be bunting in late innings with a close score, while playing deeper and off the bags when they are way up, among other things. Now the CPU scoring more runs against me in a correlative manner to me scoring more runs against them does not in any way prove or even indicate a comeback code. When you the player are down by 4 runs do you only try to score 3? Why should the computer?

And just to set the record straight about the whole comeback inning, the only thing that 98%-100% of non shutout games had one only proves that there is an extremely good chance one will happen in games I play. I have zero data on games anyone else plays. I have also never had a blown save when I didn't score in the bottom of the 8th or top of the 9th. I also have had a couple of blown saves when I scored the previous inning, but certainly not every time, or even close to it. Indeed, I have only had a handful of saves blown in three seasons of play. What does this prove? Only that Bailey is a damn good closer on this game.