View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #341
Heroesandvillains
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Here are some of Brian's posts, all dating back to March of 2010. He was refering to a different experiment, so I cut out the irrelevant stuff as to not confuse anyone. I did NOT cut out anything that was relevant to this topic, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I was only commenting on how the CPU performs relative to how the human is doing in a game, and how the CPU's performance doesn't change based on who's winning.
Quote:
The CPU's hitting has no relation to your hitting. It does have relation to your pitching, which if anything is what could be changing. Isn't it a more likely explanation that that the better you hit, the better you are allowing the CPU to hit? Some people don't play as hard when they're winning. In fact, that's more true in a video game than real MLB baseball, not less. An experiment needs to eliminate this bias.
Here's some stuff on how sliders work. For those of you struggling with game variety, this may or may not be useful for some fine tuning...or maybe I just liked the Yankee compliments! LOL

Quote:
Here's some information that might be helpful as far as sliders go, since it sounds like there's some confusion here. The sliders exist to help people fine tune the game to their liking. A full five steps in one direction might make an average team into a top tier team, and vice versa.

Yet even top tier teams like the Yankees lose plenty of games, sometimes by large margins, to bottom tier teams. MLB teams even lose to AAA teams in practice games. If a game is lost by 10 runs, that really has nothing to do with the sliders at all. When the Yankees lose 10-0 to a weak team, can we automatically assume the other team cheated?

Look up how much better the Yankees are than average, factoring in their league and stadium. It's less than one run offensively, and less than one run defensively. Let's say 1 run total for simplicity. So if you're seeing huge effects, it has nothing to do with sliders. And likewise if you're expecting or assuming huge effects with sliders, you're not going to get them. That said, if you look at how a team like the Yankees does over 162 games, you'll see 1 run a game isn't as insignificant as it sounds. This is just the way baseball is.

This is why sliders are not used for difficulty so much as fine tuning, and more specifically allowing you to tune various aspects independantly. Few slider sets need them to be more drastic than they are, because over 162 games they'll add up. They exist for precision, not for show.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 01-21-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove