View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
slingstone
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stopping the Power O

I'd have to agree with Bullet. If any team can run a play that another team can't stop, that's not cheese. Haven't you ever watched a game (college or NFL) and seen a team run the same play a number of times? Some teams bank on the superior ability of their athletes to run a "bread and butter" play in the face of almost any opposition. It's not cheating. It's football. There is no whining in football.

The first thing we have to consider is whether Nick has the athletes to match up to whoever Power-O guy is using in his incredibly successful power running game. Look at his line, Nick. Is he subbing in back-up tackles in the tight end slots? As a guy that loves to run strong-side, my favorite thing is to put super blockers, esp. athletic tackles, into the spots normally reserved for the TE's, and maybe even put a good TE over in the wide receiver position. Putting T's on linebackers and TE's on cornerbacks is a great way to put those defending players on their butts and allow my backs to rack up the yards. It's also a way for inferior teams to block the run against superior defenses, fyi.

So, #1, Nick, I'd look at the match-ups.

Second, man coverage is generally the best way to stop the run. Blitzing can be good, but if your opponent breaks through, it's just like finding a gap on the pass...he's gonna make you pay. That said, some zone schemes do throw ends and LB's outside, which may provide some run support on runs to the outside.

Finally, use the option to "play" the run. If he has a nasty habit of running strong side, then play to defend the run to that side. If you do this, all of your players will key to a run in the direction you select, which can be a nasty surprise for your Power-O pal. Watch his patterns. If he runs one way most of the time, or when in a certain formation, then defend to that side. Be aware that if he's a canny old goat, he might make you pay by running to the other side or passing, but if he's as consistent as you say he is, I'm betting with the right play and preparation on the part of your defense, you can stymie him. Does he motion folks to the side he's running to block? Defend that side.

Now one more caveat: I'm not an online player, so it's possible that my schemes won't work against another player over the 'Net. However, they've worked fairly well against my AI and human competition at home (and I think they're based on good, basic football principles), so I think they should at least help you.

Remember, most good defenses try to stop the run first, because an opponent who can run on you can control the clock and tire your defensive front seven to the breaking point. If you can force a guy to pass, then you've got him in the palm of your hand. A pass play has only one good end result for the offense: a completion. Forcing your opponent to go to the air is always preferable, because a ball in the air is just waiting to be tipped or even picked.