View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
cdon2k
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Cheesing cost me a chance at a National title.

My tips for the OP:

When someone has to drive the entire field in a minute or two, blitz the crap out of them. The key is pressure to get them to do quick throws to WRs that will hopefully be tackled in bounds costing them a time out or precious time off the clock. If you're lucky, sometimes they will do 3 quick throws and set up a 4th down for the game. As a previous poster mentioned, nickle overstorm brave works great for 4WR, just don't press your coverage or you will get burned. You can even back up coverage on this one as your LBz are the only ones blitzing and don't move back when you loosen your coverage. You can also hot route the safety covering the RB into a deep zone if you think the player won't check down to the RB. If they do, you can manually blitz with an LB and keep an eye on the RB while you're blitzing.

For 5WR I like the dime blitz that sort of looks like a cover 2, but the nickel and dime backs blitz. I can't remember the name, but one of the DT's are in a spy, I like to reblitz him with a hot route. I hot route the mlb into a deep zone to protect the deep middle. The only area of the field that is open is the middle and again, we are looking for tackles in the middle of the field to get your opponent to call timeouts or burn clock.

Next, I like using the gameplanning settings. I turn my pass coverage to Conservative, so my db's attempt swats instead of going for INTS while playing zone. I think a lack of doing this is why plays such as verticals are so effective because a DB or LB going for a missed INT attempt equals that flatfooted "watch the catch" situation. Additionally, your nickle and dime backs plus the MLB should be more apt at swatting a pass then getting an INT. Better yet, sometimes off a successful swat, the ball carries high and you can get an INT off all those pass attempts.

Against 3WR. Try the thunder smoke out of the 4-3. This really brings heat (almost as much as engage 8) and gets your opponent tackled in the open field. Just watch out for the RB leaking as in the overstorm brave.