View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #32
JayhawkerStL
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Will MLB 2k shock the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kursekain
I'll try to be as reasonable as possible about this. I haven't bought a 2k baseball title since 2k7 because the quality pretty much nosedived with each subsequent release until last year. Since then it's been strictly youknowwhat for me but I've always been open to trying their new efforts. The problem is, I haven't even been remotely enticed to purchase their recent titles because their lack of info/late info doesn't give me the urge to reach into my pockets when another baseball title, which I'm MUCH more informed about, with a more polished reputation is released on THE SAME DAY FOR THE SAME PRICE!!! Now I never attended business school, but I have worked in sales for many years and I know that when you have a product with a bad rep that's competing for dollars, there's gotta be something, SOMETHING, to garner new interest. Because the way it's looking, this method of advertising is only catering to people who have ALREADY decided to purchase. Yes the million bucks challenge is nice, but let's face it, it's probably easier (and cheaper) to buy a few lottery tickets and you'd probably have better odds, seriously. So to answer the OP's question,at this point in time and most likely after release, I'd have to answer with a resounding NO!
None of that actually is relevant to the discussion though. It's just a re-hash of why a stellar game would "shock the world."

The real question is, can this game surprise us with NBA 2K11 quality? Yeah, it can, but I doubt it.

But you response seems like an affirmation that most fans of the game that shall not be named will bury their heads in the sand and buy that instead of considering 2K11. I can't blame them, at all. Even if 2K11 reaches NBA 2K11 levels of quality, PS3 owners are are not going to be giving up too much to continue on with their series of choice. It's a solid game, and an easy game to buy without have to do any research.

But if VC knocks this out of the park (and I'm pretty sure that this is not the year for that) it will make for an interesting narrative regarding these two competitors. It will also destroy any semblance of rationality on either forum.