View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
4solo
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
20 for 20:The evolution of a madden gamer

Over the next 20 days I am going to recount my evolution of being a madden gamer over the years. It should actually be 21 for 21 but that just didn't sound cool. LOL. Just so you know video gaming for me is Football Games, NCAA and Madden being 1A and 1B and all other games lag far behind in second. It starts with my very first experience and will continue up to the present. It may be long so if you take the time to read it thanks in advance.

Madden '92 (A cheesehead is born)

I was first introduced to Madden when I was 11 years old. A little league football player, gaming was simple; Super Contra, Mike Tyson Punch Out, Double Dragon, Tecmo Super Bowl and of course Mario for the old NES. Sonic the Hedgehog was tops for my newly acquired Sega Genesis. This was sprinkled with the occasional borrowed games from friends. I was with my sister over her boyfiend house and he puts John Madden Football into the Genesis and asked if i wanted to play. Hell Yea! I'm 11 of course I wanted to play.

I didn't know what I was about to play or how to play it; but I eagerly grabbed my controller and said I'm going to win. Little did I know that this one single moment in time would spark a passion that I will probably take to the grave. (talk about being a junkie lol) All I remember about the game is that I played with Atlanta and I loss. But I was so hypnotized by the game that I begged and begged to borrow it; he finally caved in and gave it to me.

I borrowed the game for about a week. During that time I didn't play Tecmo Super Bowl at all. (and it was a great game) Madden just had something different. The Intro Music dun HUT!, dun dun, HUT! HUT! HUT! (the best),grunting players, spins moves, 3D player models, big hits, an overall physical nature that was missing from previous football games i had played. But to actually play video game football in the snow was by far one of my best early football video game experiences. And when he came to get the game back, I think I almost cried.

Around christmas I saw an ad in the Toy R' US flyer for John Madden '92. Needless to say it was the first thing on my Christmas list in BIG LETTERS. I finally had it! I think this game unoffically ended my NES playing days. This would start 20+ years of owning or borrowning (you know borrowing people stuff and not giving it back)Madden. It was just bliss.

No player names, no real teams, no logos, no stadiums,no stats, no cover athlete, no blogs, no updates, no release dates, no franchise, no online, hell I didn't even know who the lead developer was(still don't know) and didn't care; but all fun. You picked your teams, your weather, length of time 5,10,15 min. (Anything over 5 min quarters was absurdly long even for a sugar rushed 11 year old. LOL) After reading a brief scouting report on the teams style of play(too young to appreciate) and looking at a chart that showed how the teams matched up at different positions. I was ready to play. I fondly remember fans actually cheering for big plays and even booed you when you got big losses. Score a TD and my players would do a little dance and spike the ball. I loved seeing my players run on and off the field when I called different formations even though I didn't know that's why they was doing it. lol. But for me this was the madden best remembered with the bulldozing ambulance. Oh the joy to knock out QB #12 and have the ambulance truck stick its way onto the field. (Strangely this didn't cause anyone else to get hurt.)

The way I played would most definitely fall into the cheese category today; but who cared, I was 11. I ran 3 plays on defense: 4-3 Monster Blitz, 4-3 Jet Blitz and 4-3 Tuff Bronco. (How I remember these IDK, i don't even remember what defense we ran in little league) I wreaked havoc on opposing offenses with Buffalo DE #78 inching him up as close to the line of scrimmage as possible; in between the gap of the guard and tackle. Waiting patiently for the snap and then explode into the backfield. Unblockable Instant Nano. On offense I would use the overpowered spin move to run for many TD's with Buffalo HB #34. Offense was a little more diverse but when things got tough Pro Form HB Toss or Cross Pass was money.

Then I stumbled upon playoff mode. Oh there was many of frustrations to be had with playoff mode. The super human runs for TD's (sound familiar lol) All of the suspect fumbles that got returned for game winning TD's for the CPU led to many contollers getting thrown into my genesis (a tough console) and the legendary "the game is cheating!" being screamed. But oh the feeling of accomplishment when I finally beat that cheating CPU with Oakland and all my pixelated fans rushed the field to tear down my goal post under the fire works. I will never forget. And from then on I was hooked.

Tomorrow: Madden '93 (BOOM!)

Last edited by 4solo; 02-07-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove