View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #75
DaveDQ

OVR: 34
Re: IGN: You Can't Compete with Madden... EA and the NFL Won't Let You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
It's very easy for people to use Ortiz as a scapegoat, but this is neither fair, nor accurate. Madden's problems pre-date Ortiz' appointment by a couple of decades. The game is not all that different. I'm still amazed that people still cling to the Ortiz is gone there's only good times ahead, mantra.

The team is the same. It's been the same forever. Game development is a creative field. Creative people are motivated by the creative process, and the end result. Not to say that money isn't a factor, but it is secondary to the actual work. These aren't blue collar people. They haven't been dogging it all this time and are, all of a sudden, going to turn it on. It's been on as much as it is ever going to be, for the last decade.

I'm sorry. It's time people stop deluding themselves. Either the team has reached it's development limits, or the culture that is in place, isn't designed to take advantage of their untapped creative talents. Either way, the story will end the same. You know how it ends, even if you don't want to admit it to yourself.

Most people won't agree with this, and that's fine. It's fine to have faith, even if I have none, but it just irks me a little when people use Ortiz' ouster as a beacon for a bright future, when it's obvious they haven't paid much attention to the past. If they did, they'd remember that the game that they are playing today, was designed to play like the game they played 10yrs ago, and unfortunately, for the most part, they've succeeded.
Very good points, especially about the creativity.
Advertisements - Register to remove