View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #49
TracerBullet
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview with Ian Cummings - SOK and Tuner Sets (ESPN The Gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I don't really see any of these as being features.

The tuner sets are essentially just a new and faster way for the developers to correct things they should have done in development - nice, but a bigger deal for EA than for the consumers, IMO.

Surprise onside kick is just a new addition to the playbook, which is hardly a feature by any means. That'll be like calling a play-action pass or a fleaflicker for a feature instead of a play.

Also what's the deal with limiting it to one time per game?? It that EA's new approach? "Sorry, but in Madden 12 you can only throw 14 deep balls per game and 7 times in the flats, otherwise people might exploit the game." I'd settle for some adaptive AI that recognizes that people are using "surprise" onside kicks--can't really call it a surprise if people use it once per game anyway.
They limit it to one time per game because they know the majority of people don't want to deal with it happening every kickoff when they play online. I personally feel they shouldn't limit it offline, but I can definitely see why on the online limit. And these aren't back of the box features, just a small bit of info that is actually more at this point than last year's half-time blog. And last time I checked, most sports games do still get patches to fix things. Tuner sets allow them to fix things without having to wait 8 weeks for a patch. They are an upgrade in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
Like Gameflow? Here's a link to the "first details and screens" that IGN ran last March 23rd -- which focused on a new Catch Debugging Tool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079303p1.html

My only point is, maybe it doesn't always pay to say we're still a long ways from launch and to just wait on the bigger guns. Sometimes, we can get an idea early what's in store (or not).
Last year's first Madden info also came at halftime at the Super Bowl and it was a video of Ian introducing the Madden developers pretty much.