View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
SoulAssassin
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2222
I hope they get the RB/QB alignment right.

Hawaii runs its QB 4.5 Yards behind Center w/ a back 1.5-2 yards behind him -- not the deep back pistol looks that say Ohio/Nevada/Indiana run.

Further, I was hoping that EA would actually implement the true nature of option route-reads off of switch, with X/Y running sit-down/dig/streak/post concepts off of the switch itself.

Back on the side running smash, the modern JJ/Hawaii R&S calls for route adjustments made on a delay basis, allowing for the outside receiver to pivot in, run a fade-stop, and the inside slot to either run a sail pattern, or a deep out depending on safety alignment and how well the outside wideout can occupy a corner - depending on a 2 deep vs 1 deep shell.

What we have here is a simulated switch concept based off of existing off-setting routes within EA's Football play database.

While it's a fairly decent attempt at implementing R&S concepts, I really hope that they fleshed out the scheme much more in game this year.

-as Far as I can recall, only Hawaii operates purely out of a Pistol set, JJ went back to an offset deep back in a SG look running only his unbalanced goal-line set out of pistol.
^Adding the route adjustments to the Switch packages would be a really nice addition. The generic switch combo we've been given in the R&S playbooks is a nice start, especially since we have some variations to the 2 x 2 Switch, but the receivers running the switch have the options you've listed above to help vs. defenses over playing the deeper routes. It's why Choice and Switch are bread-n-butter plays for the R&S, the potential for the big play is always there but the adjustments allow for 8-12 yard completions just as easily if the defense plays too soft.
Advertisements - Register to remove