View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #53
Reejer
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Offline Franchise nuts: Bare minimum improvements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth repeating because so many people in this forum simply don't understand.

By releasing a video game onto the XBOX360, Playstation3, and/or any other given platform, EA is entering direct competition with any other company that releases a video game onto the platform(s) in question. As such EA has a direct need and incentive to continue to innovate and improve its games so that the consumer chooses its games over those of its competitors.

Is there a direct competitor to EA creating a NCAA-branded and/or NFL-branded football game? No. Does the absence of one mean lack of competition and lack of a need to move forward and make better games? No.
Although I do dig where you are coming from, I still have to disagree. Because you are talking about having exclusivity on the most popular sport in America, the NFL and it's athletes (NFLPA). I could see if you were talking about having the exclusive rights to Curling, or the Underwater Basketweavers Association. Because then you would really have to fight to stay alive in the gaming industry.

I only buy 1-2 titles for myself each year (Madden and NCAA), so in my case, EA doesn't have to worry about competition from other games. They just have to worry about the Madden brand defeating itself. On the current gen sytems they have failed utterly by focusing on luring little kids, who would rather be playing a game about shooting zombies, or running over hookers. Instead their focus should be attempting to keep their most loyal customers, who have stuck with them throughout the years, while innovating to draw in new fans.

And I have bought every Madden since it's inception, except for M-11' because of the lack of innovation for the offline modes, or hell even retrospection would be nice (M-06' PS2, and HC 09'). And I swear, if they say that they have "streamlined"* anything (in regards to Offline Modes for M-12'), it will take an act of God to bring me back into the Madden fold.

*Streamlined: Madden Developers codeword for stripping all of the fun, depth, and replayability out of a game mode. Used by the developers during; M-09' SS-Mode, and M-10' and M-11's F-Mode.
(synonyms: pillage, plunder, ransack, ravage, antonym: innovative addition)