View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #34
Hapshoops32
Pro

OVR: 35
Re: Road to the Show: The Career of Brian Happel (RF)

INDIANS LOOK TO AVOID SWEEP, HAPPEL NAMED EVERYDAY STARTER

Minneapolis, MN (AP) - There's no better time for the future - than right now. That's likely to be the theme for the last 2+ months of the regular season for the Cleveland Indians. Cleveland finished out a dismal month of July with another loss, falling to the Twins 8-2 yesterday. That meant the Tribe ended the month with a 7-15 record. So, Cleveland appears to be waiving the white flag and giving a closer look at some of its younger players. Manager Manny Acta named Brian Happel as the everyday starter in right field. "We have to get a closer look at these guys and see if they can handle the big leagues," said Acta. "He has certainly impressed in his limited time here. Let's see if Brian and some of the other younger guys can handle the everyday life of playing in the big leagues."

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: Happel didn't wait to impress, smacking a walk-off home run against the Angels.

Happel is already well known for his apparent flair for the dramatic. In his first major league at bat, seeing just the second pitch of his career, he hit a walk-off home run against the Angels just over a week ago. What does he do in his second at bat? Hit a game-tying, solo home run in the top of the ninth in Kansas City. "Those were certainly great moments," commented Happel. "But, that was last week. And we still lost the Kansas City game. I had a little bit of luck on my side. Now, I can't wait to see what I can do getting a shot in the lineup on a regular basis."

Brian Happel | RF
Cleveland Indians
Height: 6-2Bats/Throws: L/R
Weight: 210Age: 19 years old
SeasonGHABAVGR2B3BHRRBISBSLG