Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #87
ChaseB
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 12 First-Look Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
lol, I didn't mean to offend you either. To me it gets at expectations, which obviously vary greatly for all of us. It's hard for me to say this is "Year One of their finally wise direction" when the same thing was being said three years ago when the Ian-era was supposed to bring a renewed dedication towards realism. Just as people were saying "give them a chance" when exclusivity was first announced. There seems to be this view that the Madden team purposely didn't try to make a good game during certain years, or that the suits kept them from making the game they wanted to, or whatever. Personally I'm sure they tried to their best ability every year. I'm positive David Ortiz, Ian, and this new crew were/are attempting to make the best game they can. I disagreed with their approach at times but I don't doubt each tried the best they could in their own way.

At the same time, the results are what they are. They still haven't put to rest comparisons to the older games and I think it's relevant to remember that. Don't take this as a dig, but OS rated Madden 11 a 9 last year. I'm sure there were a lot of other sites that rated the game highly. I think a large part of that was because the people reviewing the game likely based their opinions on what the game has been this generation, instead of basing expectings by extrapolating what might be because of what came before it. Perhaps there'd be a lot less disappointment if the Madden team weren't given such low expectations to meet. I don't think the older games Madden's compared to were necessarily x-number of yrs ahead of their time, but I think that view gets perpetrated by inferring it's going to "take awhile" for the Madden team to reach those levels. Let alone surpass them.
No offense taken, and I don't mind the spirited banter since you clearly care about the series. Generally speaking, I try to keep things in perspective and keep it to year to year intervals. I'm not going to hang the past over a series, but rather just gauge the game for what it is during any given year.

As for the Madden 11 review score, take it up with Mr. Man In Charge Steve Noah -- he reviewed the game. I try to remind him about that 9 whenever it comes up. We also revamped our scoring system and guidelines since I think the higher review scores across the spectrum had more to do with how we were doing things in general than the games themselves.