Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Dame
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Sorry, but this is a stupid argument. Most of these player receive educations that are worth upwards of $50,000. I am 38 years old and still paying student loans. This sense of entitlement is what is wrong with our country today. I would let them use my kid's likeness any way they wanted for a completely free education at some of the finest schools in the country. I notice none of these athletes gave back their scholarships when they first realized they were in a video game did they? No, they waited until they knew for sure the NFL didn't want them and they had already raped the system for a free education before being offended. If an institution gave me a free education I could only hope my likeness or jersey could in some way repay them. Don't be a fool to think that these kids don't use the limelight that playing college sports gave them to make money either. I know that the very first thing a lot of these kids do when they graduate is sign mechandise and autographs at sports memorabili stores. I see it every year. The problem is that the NCAA needs to change their regulations to say that if you accept a free education from us then we have rights to use your likeness until the day you die. Don't think it is fair? Then don't accept a scholarship. There are thousands who will gladly take yours.
I would agree 100% with you if the scholarship was play football for us and we will give you 10k a year toward education and room and board. On the surface that seems fair. But I think the problem is more complex than that( see the fiesta bowl problems).

at 17 years old I would have jumped at the scholarship as well but at 30 and with some hindsight it dont seem like a fair trade(for superstar players and its only 10 or so great players each year). superstar players will argue that their value is more than 10k(you will never hear someone argue the opposite) the other side will argue its because of the college that your value has risen you will never find a fair medium.

This will all be mute if the NFL goes on strike and the courts find the NFL draft illegal because people will start leaving for the NFL as soon as they are ready there wont be a collective bargain in place to stop them.

A perfect world for me we pay the players and my gaming price dont go up but I dont think thats going to happen. I think they should get paid but i dont have a problem with them not getting paid either I just hate the argument of if that was me.
Advertisements - Register to remove