View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #46
Warren Piecee
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: VT Hokies 2011 Roster as Case Study on How Closely Video Game Players Match Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHokie
Let me just clarify some things.

The top receivers are as follows:

1. Boykin
2. Coale
2a. Davis
3. Coles

Dyrell has that compartment syndrome and there isn't really a timetable on his return. He's said he's about 70%, but that's pretty optimistic for the severity of that injury. At this point I'm leaving him off the depth chart because there may be a chance he won't play this season. Just all depends on how that heals up until August. Davis has been establishing himself as Logan's favorite target, he may not be the best but he is the favorite. Reason is those two guys worked with the 2's the last two springs and now this spring is essentially their third season working together. He feels more comfortable with him since Tyrod generally worked with Jarrett and Danny. Not taking away from those guys, but he's definitely felt more comfortable. Also just because Marcus wasn't a 5* doesn't mean he isn't a good player. Danny was a 2* guy and Roc Carmichael who was drafted was a 2* guy. You'll also remember Kam Chancellor was a QB coming out of high school. So while three years ago maybe he wasn't considered a top receiver by Tech's coaches, his athleticism has always been there. He's a 4.4 40-yard guy with a 40-inch vertical and absolutely has an NFL body. Mike Gentry has these guys getting in shape so don't be deceived by what Rivals tells you. Wait a year for these guys to develop in Tech's strength program.

Also you mention nothing proven behind David at RB, to a degree that's true but Josh Oglesby is a redshirt senior and has backed up Darren, Ryan and now David this season. So he's to say the least experienced, plus he's a good hard runner and had a lot of respect from Billy Hite. Also while he was technically playing fullback it wasn't in the strictest sense of the word. It's kind of like how GT does their RB's with difference letter assigned, so while he was a FB it wasn't like he was just blocking downfield the whole time.

Coale is the punter and Frank has said he's the leader going into August.

Logan Thomas now has three springs under his belt and has exceeded the expectations of QB's coach Mike O'Cain. He warants an 86 and don't be surprised if he deserves a ratings boost depending on what happens during the season.

To the OP:

1. Mark Leal should be in the game. Ricardo Young got hurt in spring practice, he will be out until they start back up and Leal has been progressively moving up the ranks to take the No. 2 job. Obviously Clayton and Young still have time to prove themselves, but from what Frank has said Leal is certainly in the mix.

2. On that point, Clayton is too high I would rate him in the 70-75 range and put Leal maybe a point or two higher. Ju-Ju disappointed the coaches this spring and O'Cain is still looking for that No. 2 spot which really should have been securely held by Ju-Ju.

3. I would bump Wilson maybe a point up because he has had an incredible spring. Had three touchdowns in one of the scrimmages and all while running track in addition to football. James Hopper needs a point or two boost, has looked good in the spring.

4. Randall Dunn needs to be up in the 70-75 range, has made huge strides the spring in the receiving department and has positioned himself to take the No. 1 job if he continues to play this well. Has a great chemistry with Logan and could provide a good receiving option Tech hasn't seen since Jeff King. Not to discount Andre Smith either, but he was more red zone and a blocking TE.

5. Boykin is underrated needs to be at least a 90. I would bump Davis down a few notches, while physically he is an absolute beast he's not better than Coale at this point. Dyrell needs a point decrease, that compartment syndrome he's got is still affecting him and he missed all of spring ball. Xavier Boyce also isn't on the team right now because of a pending child endangerment case.

6. On defense the only glaring thing I noticed is Jack Tyler's 84 rating and being rated ahead of Barquell Rivers. I'm not sure if you've got that mixed up, but Barquell has been ahead of Jack in the depth chart and has played pretty damn well this spring for that quad injury he had. Also if you remember Bud called out Jack on his play in the Orange Bowl where he missed several assignments, hence why Stanford had some pretty big runs. His play tailed off at the end of last year, and he's got to improve this fall to get back.

7. Coale is rated way too high as a punter. One 50+ yard kick is nice, but he's still a three-step technique as Frank said so I'd bump him down to mid-70's. Also Coale as a 99 PR guy is incorrect, you can't rate him the same as Jayron. He may be the most reliable guy back there, but not a 99 if you're rating Jayron as that too.

I know it's all a prediction, just thought I'd give my thoughts.
Thank you for the very helpful post. I have to digest this before I can respond in full. One thing I will mention now, though, is that some of your comments are based upon how things stood in as far as the final spring depth chart was concerned. My depth chart is based on how things should look in the fall after those who have been injured and missed all or part of the spring return. (I did not realize that things are that bleak for Roberts. This was big for me to learn.) Tyler was injured almost all spring. Rivers only became the starter be default since another man above him moved to a different LB position for the spring after Tyler and another LB were injuried. Rivers had significant movement problems during the spring.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 05-13-2011 at 09:56 PM.