View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #36
BlueNGold
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set (UPDATE: Extra Info Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman2425
Yuck. Are they trying to make an NHL version of "NFL Blitz?" I'm not at all interested in plowing into a goalie for a good laugh, or smashing someone through the glass. When was the last time that actually happened in a real game? Just when Madden finally looks like they're going in the sim direction, NHL goes the other way. I loved the series for a few years, then the game got stale, mostly because of the lack of presentation, and now it seems they're trying to rope people in by letting you see how big of a hit you can lay on someone? No thanks, looks like a pass for me this year for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Anyways, for the first preview there was some good info. Again there's going to be more overreaction because they're showcasing big hits, hits over the bench, crease crashing, etc. The thing is, remember last year when everyone was going "Oh no! There's going to be too many broken sticks!"? Or when people thought the hustle button was going to be something that makes you cruise around the CPU? How about in NHL 10 when shooting from your knees or batting the puck out of the air was introduced and people thought it was going to happen all the time?

The point is, of course these videos are going to make these things look over the top and when it's the only gameplay we've seen to this point, people are going to think the frequency will be too high, but we forget that these guys are some of the better devs around and know what we want. Not to mention that there's also a reason we have sliders - so we can customize the game to our liking.

A lot of these new additions shown are things that have been on many wishlists and this was only the first preview. Of course I didn't get to see yet what's going to decide whether or not I buy the game (Be A GM improvements and better on-ice AI), but for the first true info, this isn't bad at all IMO. Especially when you consider the crease crashing and battles in front of the net. Those are things that have been sorely lacking and will make a big gameplay difference.

There was one negative in that video though. We still have first person fighting.

Last edited by BlueNGold; 05-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.