View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Thinking Out Loud
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden’s Dynamic Performance Serves Sundays With More Flavour (Kotaku)

“I don’t know if Madden with Dynamic Player Performance will be any harder, but to win, you will have to pay attention.” Young said. “Do you really want to let Michael Vick run on you? You’ll see these emerging week-to-week decisions, and to win, you can’t just be the guy who’s mastered one player or technique. It should make you a more full player, so in that way, it’s more challenging.”

I want to try and make sure I articulate what I am about to state, clearly. An option to hide numeric ratings would greatly increase the risk/reward of "paying attention" to DPP effects. Knowing your starting QB's OVR is exactly -5 versus only knowing he is on a cold streak, is night and day in terms of decision making.

I absolutely love how DPP and Player roles are being explained along with the visual non-numeric and audio indicators. However, continuing to display the exact numeric changes of these features on a player's ratings, decreases the benefit of not knowing exactly how affected players are. If a Bears fan knows for a fact that the 75OVR Cutler, not the 80, 85 or 90OVR, showed up, it makes the decision for what to do a much easier one. Common sense dictates that it is much easier to play a player out of a small bad streak than a larger one.

A good compromise would be to have "?" over ONLY the numeric ratings that are being affected while still displaying the others, normally. For example, a QB would display SPD, INJ, ACC, etc if they are at default levels but would have a "?" for OVR, THP, TAS,TAM,TAD, etc, that are affected and changed.

That said, I am sure that would take sometime to implement so the quick and easy fix, according to Josh Looman/Donny Moore in Podcast #3, is to add an option to hide numeric ratings while they still operate "under the hood".