View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
spfhelmiii
Rookie

spfhelmiii's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Potential Speed Fix?

We'll see if this is addressed with better zone defense - an improvement that has been touted heavily in Madden 12. That's really the answer for me.

Using, say, Ted Ginn as an example.... if he runs just a slant or a go, once get gets into the route (i.e. not his immediate burst) NO one should be able to stick with him through the straightline portion of the route. Thus, you do need a safety overtop on the go routes, which actually does make speedy guys value for freeing up other players. On a slant, solid zone coverage should mean that while he separates from his initial defender, he should be picked up across the remainder of his route by other defenders. Overall, I do NOT want to nerf his straightline speed.

However, any time he makes a cut, it should be awful... it should be rounded, not sharp, and he should not burst out of the cut but rather be pretty sluggish for a moment. Basically, you should fear throwing to him anytime after a cut until he gets settled running straight again. In this way, receivers like Wes Welker will be valuable... their lack of straightline speed means you won't need a safety over the top, but his routes should be so quick and sharp that he is generally open after a cut unless someone can get in the path of the ball.

If that's the same as what you're suggesting, we're on the same page. I just don't want to damped the value of straightline speed guys opening up defenses over the top and with simple slants... you just have to make sure the user uses these players correctly.