View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Broncos86
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Potential Speed Fix?

I'm always against manufactured handicaps in order to "fix" something in Madden. I recall, prior to Madden 10, the QB drop back was sped up beyond a realistic speed in order to help combat nanos. That's not the right way to fix the issue. Fix the darn nanos, which happened in Madden 10.

Speed is an issue because player momentum and what's physically possible aren't properly occurring in Madden. Players in Madden perform physical feats that really shouldn't happen. LBs that have Spiderman reflexes and Superman hops, and CBs / WRs that can jump nearly straight up into the air at top speed. I dare someone to run at top speed, then see how high into the air they can jump (no slowing down!).

The other side of the coin is that, in the NFL, a WR's blinding speed can't always overcome proper body positioning. A young rookie may not box out the CB properly, etc. In Madden, WRs have terrible body awareness and ball judgment. It's ridiculous to see a WR continue to run along the path in an attempt to catch the ball on his hip while the CB stops (on a dime after running at top speed), turns around, and jumps to make the pick. And we're talking WRs like Fitzgerald doing this. Fitzgerald would've attempted to body out that DB and fight for that ball.

This is why speed reigns, currently. Because that which counteracts speed (knowledge and experience) isn't always well-represented in Madden. So to make up for it, we get LBs and DBs who cheat. As a result, we gamers find ways to cheat the cheaters with money plays like slant routes.

Last edited by Broncos86; 06-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.