View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Icarus2k9
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What happened to "server based" online franchise updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
The thing is, just because you have your answer doesn't mean you have to like it. Simply put, they can do it... they just don't feel it is worth their time right now. It didn't go anywhere, it just isn't being put to use.

I think it is a double edged sword. The mode is boring, why would anyone really want to play it? So, since "no one" plays it, they don't work to make it playable.
Looks like that's what happened. Obviously I don't have numbers so this is the purest-cut speculation, but who knows what would have happened if everyone started playing Online Franchise from the start? Maybe EA were expecting greater numbers to take it up after a lot of grousing and quickly discovered not enough people were playing the barebones version. Then as a company do you devote constant resources to update something slavishly for a small fanbase, or concentrate on trying to bring new customers in for M11 when sales aren't being boosted by introducing more "hardcore" features?

Remember also this was the first "online pass" feature ever, IIRC (if not, ignore me) Those numbers using it weren't going to be boosted much by the used market who could go onto play now instead. You also had a lot of problems with International customers in M10 where the codes weren't in the boxes and it was down to ringing a hotline to rectify the situation. I know that's a tiny fraction of sales, but every one counts.