View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

STAYING SHARPE
Photobucket
SHARPE GETS READY TO THROW A PASS DURING THE TEAMS FINAL FALL SCRIMMAGE

BLAZER TALK RECENTLY SAT DOWN WITH UAB STARTING QUARTERBACK ANDRE SHARPE AND GOT SOME INSIGHT FROM HIM

On battling with Junior dual threat Wayne Smith for the starting job:
"I thought he had a really positive summer. We help each other out and whether im the starter or he as long as we're in position to win it doesnt matter who gets it."

On leadership:
"It's just kind of by default that the quarterback is going to be the leader of the team, but you can lead it in different ways, so I'm going to try to take it and lead it the way I know best and kind of the way my personality lets me lead. That's kind of the thing that I've been working on. It comes naturally and it's something that you have to work on. You have to kind of earn the respect of the guys once you step on campus and then once you have their respect you can start becoming more vocal with them and letting them know what you want and what you expect from them. Being a Senior I feel I have the respect to be their leader"

On progressing from last year to this year:
"Going into the spring, and trying to earn the starting job while learning a whole new playbook is tough, but you know what, deal with it. I've gotten so much better at just seeing defenses and recognizing where I'm going to throw the ball even before the play starts. That's a huge thing for a quarterback to have that confidence. And also some of the receivers have played, offensive line has played for a few years adding experience for me. Having confidence in those guys and knowing that they're going to get their jobs done helps too."

On playing on the road:
"That's one thing that we kind of struggled with last year a little bit. We played great at home and then we wouldn't play very good on the road, so that's one thing we have to work on through fall camp. We've been working on it in spring and summer just becoming a team and becoming more mature. Going places together and doing team things. We open up at Florida and I know we'll be ready"

On personal improvements:
"For me, one huge thing, I had way too many interceptions (12) last year turning the ball over. So I think if I take care of the ball a little bit more we have a better chance of winning a lot more games. Just better decision making, not forcing the ball into tight coverage, getting balls batted up in the air, so I need make a lot better decisions this year and take care of the ball."

On the receivers:
"They're going to be strong this year. I have total faith in those guys. We have a lot of people who have played last year so that was good in getting them starts and getting them playing time. They should be one of the strong points of our team this year."

On last season:
"I think that's made us hungrier to become a better team. We don't want to have that what if season. That's not what we're here at UAB for and that's not what this program has been built on. This program has been built on championships and that's what we're working towards during fall camp and hopefully that's how our season will turn out. We have to work hard and take it game-by-game."

On the non-conference schedule:
"It's going to be a great opportunity for us. Those two teams [Florida and Mississippi State] are great teams on the road those games will give us good experience for conference play. It's going to be a tough non-conference schedule for us and I'm excited to play."

IN TO THE FIRE

UAB VS #20 FLORIDA

VENUE: BEN HILL GRIFFIN STADIUM (#4)
KICKOFF: 7:45 PM
REGIONAL BROADCAST

So it's looking like Florida's got the advantage most everywhere. The Gators (1-0) beat FAU 35-6 to open the season and quarterback Patrick Jones didnt disappoint throwing for 255 yards and three touchdowns. UAB will be playing its first game after a very good fall camp. The key for UAB will be the play upfront on the offensive line. This unit hasnt looked to good as of late and with pass rushers Ray Archer #34 and Sam McMahan #96 who both recorded a sack last week quarterback Andre Sharpe may be in for a rude awakening. A dose of tailbacks Danny Pryor and true freshmen Mathew Scott should hold up this pass rush to open up the air attack. UAB secondary doesn't have a easy task as well as they have to contend with Florida's Speedy receivers. In the end the speed could be to much.

35-17 Florida