View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #74
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

THE CAMPUS GAZETTE
UAB UNIVERSITY NEWSPAPER

SHARPE AS NAILS
BLAZERS ROLL PAST TIGERS IN ANNUAL
"BATTLE FOR THE BONES" 49-23 AT THE LIBERTY BOWL

~AP FILE PHOTO~ (PROTECTED BY HIS LINE, SHARPE GETS READY FOR THE) PLAY)

ASSOCIATED PRESS________

BIRMINGHAM, AL--- By the time UAB quarterback Andre Sharpe extended his school record for touchdowns passes in a season, the bad memories from the past games were long gone.
Ian Wilson and Michael Ross accounted for four of Sharpe's 6 TD passes and the defense wreaked havoc on quarterback Christian Wyatt as the #23 Blazers rolled over Memphis 49-23 in their first meeting with coach Travis Rhatigan at the helm.
"That didn't matter," UAB coach Travis Rhatigan said. "It makes for a good story, but this is a new coached team and we mean business."
Sharpe completed 12-of-17 passes for 293 yards as the Blazers (9-1) extended their lead to 10-4 in the all-time series.
Rhatigan said he introduced his players to the rivalry's history on Monday, but after that "they're rolling their eyes and saying but coach we want to make a statement."
Rhatigan said even he had a hard time going watching that film but he hoped the win was a lift for Blazer fans "who are finally showing support."

"I can't say I thought a lot about the rivalry aspect, I just want to help out team win games," said Sharpe, "I was really trying to play for today."

UAB built a 28-13 first-half lead on Sharpe's touchdown passes of 28 and 32 yards to Ross and 20 and 27 yards to Wilson. Sharpe's single season school record for touchdown passes now sit at 35.

(ROSS SCORED ON BOTH OF HIS CATCHES AGAINST MEMPHIS, THIS ONE FOR 32 YARDS IN THE SECOND QUARTER)
Starter Christian Wyatt could not mount enough of a comeback, and Memphis (1-9) suffered its most lopsided defeat this season.
"Today wasn't a very good day for the University of Memphis," said coach Larry Porter, who was pacing the sidelines all afternoon. "The guys have to understand that when you come up to an opponent thats playing the way UAB you have to match their intensity, we had none out there."
Under Wyatt's guidance, Memphis grabbed a early touchdown after getting a first-and-goal at the 9-yard line following a interception. but the next five drives Memphis could only muster 9 points off three field goals
The Tigers had chances to cut into the deficit with every drive in the first half but field goals became the norm essentially giving UAB more and more confidence on defense. They could never give play making running back Hall any space to get loose Hall would have 20 touches for only 52 yards.

(HALL CONTINUOUSLY RAN INTO A UAB DEFENDERS GETTING STOP FOR MINIMAL YARDS)
Memphis finished with 318 total yards and more first downs (15) than UAB.

"As a team, we want to go out and win every game like everybody else does. But we think on a consistent basis, we can come out and show something to the nation and we'll take each week as a stepping stone," Blazers safety Nick Williams said.
Sparked by a McCray interception, UAB responded immediately on a shortened field and receiver J. Mosses caught Sharpe's fifth touchdown pass. Sharpe and Parker (TE) hooked up for a 9-yard scoring strike, with Parker standing all alone on the goal line, to make it 42-16 early in the fourth quarter. Moses and Wilson both had over 100 yards receiving on the day.
Matthew Scott then added a 4-yard TD run late in the fourth as UAB relied primarily on the run late in the game. When asked about throwing six touchdown passes Sharpe had this to say.
"I'm really not surprised, Knowing the guys that are out there with me, I can't explain it. It's unreal how good those guys out there are."
Since their loss to Tulsa, UAB is averaging 55.7 points a game in the last four they've played.
"From the beginning, we've known that this offense has a lot of capability. We have a lot of potential," Sharpe said. "We know if we go out there and we play hard and we play smart that we definitely have chances to be a great offense."

Wyatt was 19-for-30 for 248 yards but no interceptions. He alsogot sacked five times. Slaughter and Williams led the way for the UAB defense with 9 and 12 tackles respectfully. Next up for UAB is a home game against Rival Southern Miss.

BOX SCORE:
UAB (9-1) at MEMPHIS (1-9)
Nov 12, 20111234F
#23 UAB141471449
MEMPHIS763723
Top Performers
UAB
A. SHARPE 12-17, 293 YARDS 6 TOUCHDOWNS 1 INTERCEPTION -- I. WILSON 4 REC 103 YARDS 2 TOUCHDOWNS
N. WILLIAMS 12 TACKLES, T. SLAUGHTER 9 TACKLES 1 SACK
MEMPHIS
J. STONE 3-3 FG, LONG 44
C. WYATT 19-30 248 YARDS 1 INTERCEPTION
Team Stats Comparison

UABMEM
First Downs1215
3rd Down Efficiency5-67-14
4th Down Efficiency0-00-1
Total Yards408318
Passing Yards293248
Rushing Yards11570
Penalties-Penalty Yards0-03-30
Turnovers11
Time of Possession12:0511:55

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WHAT THE MEDIA HAD TO SAY:

From Sports Illustrated's Stewart Mandel:
"Count me a BLAZER believer. Specifically, a Andre Sharpe believer. While I figured UAB would handle Memphis, I assumed it would be a low-scoring affair because of the rivalry aspect, and I assumed the Tigers defense would fluster the Blazers Senior quarterback as it looked like in the first drive. But soon after, Sharpe looked like the savvy veteran in UAB's 49-23 blowout."

From ESPN's Ivan Maisel:
"The After the second drive the Blazers never trailed, and even if it was a muggy day, they never would have sweated. With an offense of multiple weapons and a defense that limits everybody UAB suggested that its ranking might be too low. This team is rolling.