View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #108
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

THE CAMPUS GAZETTE
UAB UNIVERSITY NEWSPAPER

BLAZIN' TO VICTORY!!!
SHARPE AND THE UAB BLAZERS CAPTURE THE LIBERTY BOWL FINISH THE YEAR 13-1

MEMPHIS, TENN---
The combination of Andre Sharpe and the Blazer receivers was almost unstoppable for UAB. And while UAB's steely defense couldn't quite stop Jackson, yards were hard to come by for Syracuse after his gruesome shoulder injury in the fourth quarter.
Returner of the year Brooks set a Liberty Bowl record with a 93 yard kickoff return, Sharpe passed for 282 yards and UAB slowed a strong Syracuse offense down in the second half to grab a 52-35 victory.

"It was a total business trip," said Sharpe, who completed 11 of 19 with 4 touchdown tosses. "We were coming down here to take care of business. The game plan, the way we prepared, it was really good this week."

Sophomore Ian Wilson finished with just 56 yards receiving on 4 catches but set UAB's single-season record with his 20th touchdown reception in front of a estimated crowd of 46,713.
"The coaches put together a good offensive plan," Wilson said. "Sharpe threw the ball on the spot. The line did a good job blocking."
Sharpe found Rawls on TD strikes of 35, 34 yards, and the Blazers led for good at 38-28 after Roderick Brooks flipped across the goal line late in the third quarter with his 98 yard kickoff return.
The victory capped an 8 game win streak to end the season for the surprising Blazers.

"They were ready to play to the end, no matter the situation," Rhatigan said. "We got some tough breaks. That happens. But we rose to the occasion and still did what we needed to do."

For Syracuse, Tailback S. Jackson almost stole the show early keeping 'cuse in the game. He ran for 152 yards on just 9 carries and scored two TDs in the first half he also scored another late in the third to put Syracuse down three. But disaster struck early in the fourth quarter when Jackson took a viscous blow from UAB linebacker Eddie Morgan as he tried to hurdle him. On the play Jackson would Dislocate his shoulder and would have to get carted off the field ending his great day to that point.
--
(THIS VISCOUS BLOW TO JACKSON LEFT HIM WITH A DISLOCATED SHOULDER AND OUT FOR THE REST OF THE GAME)

UAB would get 14 straight points in the fourth quarter as Sharpe connected with Rawls and Pryor ran another in, starting a celebration for fans wearing Green and Gold.
"We had our chances," Syracuse receiver William Jones said. "We had the ball enough times to make something happen but Jackson injury hurt us. We didn't capitalize."
Jones, who was looking forward to the big one on one match up with UAB defensive back Marcus Stephens was held to 24 yards on just 4 receptions.
"Sure it was tough to go out like this, I had a great year, hell we had a great year for Syracuse. Hopefully the under classmen can see what we were trying to do and help lead this program to a higher level next year."

The "Dragon squad", as the UAB defense call themselves stepped up in the fourth quarter sacking Syracuse quarterback 5 times in the fourth quarter. They had 9 total all game. All which came in the second half led by All American MLB Tom Slaughters 4 sacks.
--
(SLAUGHTER AND RICHARDSON LED THE WAY CONSTANTLY PUTTING COX ON HIS BACK OR ON THE RUN)

"They're a good defense," Cox said. "We had to chip away at them. I had one big one, but not enough."
Rhatigan returned the compliment, saying Syracuse's offense created a lot of challenges for UAB.
"I think he's a fabulous quarterback," Rhatigan said. "He did run through us at times with the read and handing off to Jackson, his injury hurt them. They do a great job of really making you work mentally."

Syracuse's Tim Cox, was 9 of 13 for 145 yards but was on the bad end of 9 hard sacks.
Syracuse coach Doug Marron had indicated after the game that he would have liked to throw more but UAB was getting terrific pressure so they reverted to running more.
Marron was asked if throwing more would have made a difference.
"Who knows? I would have like to get Jones the ball more I mean he did have 17 touchdowns this year," Marron said. "His preparation was very good all week going into this and we new he would be one on one but that meant more pressure was coming. Our passing game wasn't as good as UAB's. That was the difference, but I do wish I we would have thrown a few more times."

The Blazers head into this off season very confident with a 13-1 finish. Syracuse ends the season 8-5 with a four game losing streak.

(DEFENSIVE PLAYERS FOR UAB CELEBRATE AFTER THEIR LIBERTY BOWL WIN)
#8 KEVIN EVANS, #36 EUGENE JACKSON, #5 NICK WILIIAMS

SYRACUSE (8-5) at UAB (13-1)
Dec 31, 20111234F
SYRACUSE1477735
#18 UAB1414101452
Top Performers
SYRACUSE
A. SHARPE 11-19 282 YRDS 4 TD, D. PRYOR 21 CAR 111 YDS 1 TD
M. ROSS 3 REC 75 YDS 2 TD, UAB DEFENSIVE UNIT 9 SACKS
UAB
T. COX 9-13 147 YDS 1 TD, S. JACKSON 9 CAR 152 YDS
T. HOLT 7 TACKLES ONE SACK
Team Stats Comparison

SUUAB
First Downs512
3rd Down Efficiency2-85-8
4th Down Efficiency1-20-0
Total Yards252393
Passing Yards147282
Rushing Yards105111
Penalties-Penalty Yards0-02-15
Turnovers00
Time of Possession9:5714:03

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 12-02-2011 at 03:28 AM.