View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
moblipeg
Pro

moblipeg's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

I haven't really had this problem. My number 1 just won the Biletnikoff award and I rarely use formation subs. A couple of formations that may help without putting your number 1 in the slot are the shotgun 4-wide tight, where your number 1 will be on the left outside on the line. Seem routes, drag routes, and post routes work well for him out of this formation. My favorite play is Mesh, where the receiver streaks down the seam and your number 2 runs a drag. If the opponent gets too aggressive, you've got money right over the top to your number 1 who will be 1 on 1 with the safety. The other good one is the reverse mesh which has him run a deep drag route which is great against a shallow zone for about 15 yds. Also, any twins formation will put him in the slot, so thats a way he can be in the slot without feeling like you have to do a formation sub. Play action passes after a good ground n pound can leave your number 1 wide open in the right circumstances.

All in all, I think its about matchups. If a good corner is playing man to man, you may have to motion, or run a good man to man route like a slant. If the defense is in a zone, you'll have to make the right read. Also, a good running game causes the safeties to cheat up, usually leaving your number 1 receiver in a good matchup. Hopefully that helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove