Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
crques
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Slider Advice/Dont want to give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Can you be more specific? What's actually happening? Are you striking out too much? Hitting balls but flying out too much? Timing issues? I can't really give you a definite solution without a definite description of the problem.

Looking back on the problems I used to have, my first suggestion is usually to lower Contact and increase Solid Hits. Don't use Power Swing, and don't use Guess Pitch - no, not even once - until you've gotten comfortable behind the plate.

Why lower Contact? Well first of all sometimes missing the ball can be a good thing. It will turn that first pitch fly ball into just strike 1, and give you a few more chances to get things right. It increases foul balls (technically speaking, they are staying the same, but since everything else is decreasing, this becomes a relative increase), and does a few other things that will take some of your stress away.

This explanation could go on forever (not that I fully understand myself), but all in all my summarized theory is that it is so easy to put balls into fair play on Veteran/All Star difficulty levels, that you end up hitting pitches you completely misread, and putting things in play that have no business being put in play, and of course while this increases your chance for a hit, it also increases your chance for an out, and since outs are already more frequent than hits (.300 hitters are making outs 7/10 times), you are going to notice the former more often than anything else.

I also want to make it clear that I'm only talking about Zone hitting here. When you are aiming your swing, you'd prefer to completely miss a pitch for strike 1 or 2, than put one in play for an easy out. This doesn't at all apply to Timing or Analog, since the higher Contact only helps you, since the game aims the PCI for you, and this slider is part of the equation.

Try a Contact of 3 and a Solid Hits of 7 for starters... Also try reducing the Fielder Speed slider by a few points, not really relevant to your troubles, but it is almost a unanimous opinion across this board that they run too quickly, and a speed reduction will surely add a few hits per game.
Hey Bobhead. I have a question regarding your slider suggestion. I'm currently using a variation of TNK's All Star sliders, with human contact at 7 and human solid hits at 4. I noticed that you suggested in this thread to try human contact at 3, and human solid hits at 7. Also, I'm using CPU Pitch Consistency at 5, CPU Pitch Control at 5, and CPU Strike Frequency at 1. You suggested these at 4, 2, 4. Can you explain the difference in your suggestions, as opposed to what I'm using? I guess I'm confused about what those sliders actually do and why you and TNK seem to be leaning in opposite directions with those for the most part. Man these sliders have become nothing short of a headache for me now. Thanks.

Last edited by crques; 08-17-2011 at 04:29 PM.