Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #34
roadman
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTop
As you said tiny bit....although I'll concede that he has slightly more than a tiny bit to do with it.

My overall point is that this rating system punishes a QB to harshly for the result of that play. Throw away passes when the defense dictates it, either by their coverage or pressure, shouldn't carry that much weight.

From what I understand about tQBR, if the Saints were winning the game and Brees threw an INT into double coverage far down the field, it would be less of a punishment than throwing an incompletion on 4th & 1 in the red zone against a perfectly called defense. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Again, I want to know how badly Rodgers was punished, if at all, for not converting on the Packers last two drives that allowed the Saints a chance to tie the game at the end. Since when is the 1st quarter the most important quarter or the first team with the ball -- that is when the "game will be closest" 90% of the time? I always thought QBs were measured by their 4th quarter performances.

And let me clarify -- I'm not a Brees homer. I just think the system stinks.
It then goes back to your theory of game calling. McCarthy thought he could run the ball and eat clock on those last two drives. Is it Rodgers fault the OL and the RB's couldn't chew clock the last few drives of the game?

The difference between the 1st quarter and last quarter is easy to point out. The Packers were more of a conservative mode vs aggressive mode.

Again, it might have been a perfect called defense, but the OL must pick up the perfect called play and they didn't. It's the end result of that play is what is factored into the ratings.

Is that Rodgers fault?

Last edited by roadman; 09-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.