View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #78
roadman
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Is Madden the answer this year for football gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
I dont even know where to start with this. Its rife with inaccuracy. So EA hasn't lost any money from not being able to sell a baseball game and for their NBA game being a complete disaster?? EA sold over 1.5 million copies of MVP Baseball in 2005, the last year they had the license. If you reread my post it doesn't say anything about EA losing money on Madden, but more the company as a whole. According to Forbes.com EA had total sales of $3.77 billion and total profits of -$.175 billion, meaning they lost money so far this year. As of the end of last year EA's stock was down 68% since 2007. They have been steadily losing money every year since 2006.

Id like to know where you got your numbers for the statement "It's not that much more than they were paying initially for license fees".
According to every industry expert who spoke on that matter in 2005 it was significantly higher than the fees initially were. EA even said they paid a premium to get the exclusive deal. The NFL didn't just hand it over to EA, they accepted bids by all companies and EA outbid everyone by almost $200 million. Take Two was the next closest bidder with just over $100 million.

And your final statement "But I doubt any other company out there would have the money to beat out EA in a bidding war" Again you might wanna check your numbers before you make bold statements such as this. Activision-Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft are all much larger companies than EA with much more capital.

This is all speculation though, you never know what is going to happen a few years down the road.
So, with Battlefield, FIFA(more copies FIFA sold worldwide than Madden), NHL and Madden, EA may have a chance of breaking even or maybe making a profit, correct?

I'm sure there are other companies that have lost profits since 2007, not just EA. Times are tough all over. Although, the people who want to see EA lose profits are the one's who quickly point out it's the quality of the games, not the tough times we are in.

I'd say it's a mixture of both.

Last edited by roadman; 09-14-2011 at 07:28 PM.