View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #218
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

BLAZER WEEKLY

LET THE RUMBLE BEGIN!

UAB Linebacker Tom Slaughter pulled out his 2011 Conference usa championship ring the other night, slipped it on his finger and wore it for hours - a tangible reminder of what the Blazers are playing for now. Believe it or not, there has been little talk among players and coaches about the Bowl Championship Series implications that come with Saturday's C-USA title game.
They surely know if they win there is a possible spot in the national title game. But they won't dare mention it, and not because they fear jinxing anything either.
No. 3 UAB, getting to host the game has been the main goal all year. It was what motivated them in the off-season, what they talked about in the preseason and what they played for during the season. It also will have a huge impact on their postseason.
"There's stuff going around that we can go to some big-time bowl I guess, a big-time game," Slaughter said with a smile. "But this is our goal. During the off-season, there's no talk of Miami, there's no talk of Louisiana, it's all talk of hosting a conference championship. Everything we did was to get here. We're here now and we're not just satisfied being here."
Few gave Houston (8-4) much of a shot at winning the West, especially not after a 4-4 start. But four consecutive wins to end the season have Houston as one of the hottest teams.
Second-year coach Travis Rhatigan, meanwhile, was telling his players He was convinced they could host the championship. He knew the talent was there, and given that lone loss to Tulsa a season ago, Rhatigan figured hard work, perseverance and a little more confidence would help them pull out close games.

"It's probably better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit," Rhatigan said. "I think it's important to have high goals and aspirations for what you want to accomplish.
"I think it's more important to buy into the things that it takes to be able to do that. That's what this team has done so well. They just didn't believe that they could do it. They believed in the things that they needed to do to do it. That's where their commitment, their perseverance and their hard work has paid off for them."
We'll now its time for the belief to come all out as the Blazers get ready for the hot Houston Cougars.

Coach Travis Rhatigan spoke to the media during Conference USA's media day Wednesday:

Opening comments

Obviously it's a very exciting time for our players and our fans, for the Blazer family, just being able to be blessed enough to play in this game and our players ought to be extremely excited.
As you know, it's going to be a great, great challenge for us. Houston is probably playing the best football they've played all year. Extremely, extremely talented, as we know.

So they're much improved after a 4-4 start. It's going to be a huge, huge challenge for us. They're a whole football team from top to bottom. Offense, defense, special teams. Just very solid in what they do. Very well coached, as you would expect.
And, again, I think they're playing as good of football as they've played all year. So it's going to be a great challenge for us.

On Specials teams and chemistry:

I hope that special teams-wise we continued to improve. That's the first thing that comes to my mind in games like these where you have two really good offenses, two really good defenses, where does the special teams come into play.
I know we've made a lot of improvement there. The consistency of our football team right now was not there in our last game and our special temas came through. So that's some concern. I felt like we should have been more consistent the way we played.
But I think overall, as a football team, I think everybody understands where they fit within our team. The team chemistry and things of that nature, which I think over a 12-game season has really developed in terms of a personality of our team.
And I think we play as a team. I don't think we play as good as we could or should all the time. And that's obviously something we've got to do better Saturday.
But as a whole, I think our team chemistry is really well. I think our guys have really understood what it takes to win, certainly with all situations being told with Scott's injury and Brooks no longer our returner.

On Receiver Josh Johnsn:

I don't think there's any question he's playing as confident football right now as anybody in America.
And rightly so. I think in our league games alone he's averaging over 100 yards, I think it's 115, 116 yards a game in receptions.
I think that obviously the quarterback and him are on the same page. Washington has done a great job in terms of pass efficiency. Getting the ball down the field. Everybody knows how talented he is. He's a small, but very fast receiver who can stretch the field.
I think earlier in the year everybody knew he was talented. But I think he got better. And the quarterback/wideout combination has gotten better since the season started. I don't think there's any question with that.
You can just tell that the confidence is there. So he's playing wide open right now, as the rest of their offense is as well.
And he's doing a great job and they've got a lot of confidence in him as well. You can tell with the coaching staff. So tall order to try to stop this one.

On the chance at a BCS Bowl:
I tried not to talk about it all year but we're excited about that possibility, you can see it in the guys eyes, they want it. Our guys have been going all out and in fact some of our breakdowns have been BCS so the guys are not completely blind to the fact we just like to take it one week at a time.

Matchup Preview | December 8, 2012
@
Houston Cougars
(8-4, Away)

#3 UAB Blazers
(12-0, Home)
Offensive Stats Comparison
27.0Points Per Game44.3
#78Total Offensive Yards#10
#116Rushing Yards#63
#15Passing Yards#6
Defensive Stats Comparison
#87Total Yards Allowed#18
#68Rushing Yards Allowed#1
#94Passing Yards Allowed#113
Injury Report
R. Rawls
1wk

lolb M. Terrell
prb
HB M. Scottt
5wk

Game Notes
Its finally here, the conference championship. Both teams come in on winning streaks but its UAB who has cause for concern after close wins over Southern Miss and Rice to end the season while Houston has ripped off four straight wins in impressive fashion. Should be a great game.

HOUSTON--- After being preseason picked to win the West Houston got off to a 4-4 start and looked to have lost their season, but the emergence of receiver Josh Johnson and quarterback Tavares Washington have become quite the tandem in leading Houston back to the top of the west division. Johnson leads the conference with 17 touchdown receptions and is top five in the country in receiving yards. The lack of run game may hurt Houston but it may not since UAB is the #1 rush defense in the country. Johnson will be scouted so other receivers such as Drew Johnson and Mike Brown will need to step up, the three speedsters are also apart of the Houston 4x1 team. Defensively Houston has their hands full. Linebackers Charlie Griffin and Nate Bradley lead the team with 74 tackles and will need to some how slow down Wayne Smith's short passing game and keep him in the pocket, they will need to key on Roderick Brooks out the backfield. The secondary will have their hands full but if FS Justin Parsons does his job he will have a lot of opportunities at interceptions. To win this game Houston will need to score fast and often, their no huddle attack should tire this Blazer unit, with their success in the quick pass attack that will keep the pressure off of Washington.

UAB--- UAB comes in this game the odds on favorite playing at home to win. But despite the statistical edge, they will have to understand Houston has athletes as well. The emergence of Freshmen receiver Matt Ford has taken the double teams away from the teams leading receiver Ian WIlson, Wilson has 1,004 yards receiving and leads the team in receptions. But he's one of four UAB receivers over 700 yards receiving and James Moses and Ford both have 11 touchdown receptions. Wayne Smith has his weapons but will need to be weary of FS Justin Parsons who has 5 interceptions this year.
Defensively there is no question this unit leads the team, but after giving up consecutive 400 yard pass games this secondary who leads the nations in interceptions all of sudden is vulnerable. Itll be up to Bowser and company to get pressure on Washington and disrupt his rhythm. For UAB to win, they need to give Houston a heavy dose of Roderick Brooks then go over the top, keep this defense on the field and tire them out. The secondary needs to press these speedy receivers and make Washington hold on to the ball so the pressure can get there.

Prediction: I beleive its gonna be a lot closer than people think but Im going with the defending champs. UAB 31-28

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 09-17-2011 at 05:53 PM.