View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #274
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

Wednesday September 25th, 2013

BACK TO WORK
HEAD COACH TRAVIS RHATIGAN PREPPING HIS BLAZERS AS UAB LOOKS FORWARD TO FACING AUBURN THIS SATURDAY

(BLAZERS GET READY FOR A PLAY DURING GOAL LINE PERIOD AT THE END OF TUESDAY'S PRACTICE)
BIRMINGHAM, AL-- The UAB football team held its last full-team practice on Wednesday, making final preparations for Saturday's match up against Auburn at Jordan-Hare. The Blazers practiced for approximately 90 minutes during the afternoon session, working out the final details of their game-plan for the showdown against the Tigers, they'll cut back on walk through. "It was a normal Wednesday for us," UAB head coach Travis Rhatigan said. "I love the intensity however as the guys got after it. We are finalizing our gameplan for Auburn. They like to do some different things and we need to be prepared in all aspects. We still have a light workout (Thursday) morning, so it is important that it goes well."
The Blazers will head to Auburn for the second straight year. The last time the two teams met in the Auburn Hills UAB pulled out a 29-28 victory.
That contest also marked the last time the teams met as a non conference foe.
"There's no question this is a big day and a tremendous opportunity for our program," Rhatigan said. "It's exciting for us to play them there in Auburn. It's good for our players experience big time college football"
Saturday's game will kick off at 11 p.m.. CT at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

(SENIOR RECEIVER IAN WILSON DOING ONE ON ONES WITH TRUE FRESHMEN ANTHONY MCFARLAND)

During the bye week the Blazers have emphasized form tackling and technique of all aspects. Every practice ended with a goal line period and the loser had to run the sprints after practice. One on ones were intense as well as a fight broke out between the receivers and defensive backs.
" This team is so competitive." Senior receiver Ian Wilson said. " Everybody competes and fights to get ahead, I like our chances this weekend."

SEC EAST STANDINGS:
SEC EAST Conference Standings - Updated: Sep 27, 2013
TEAMRECPCTCONFPFPASTRK
#23 GEORGIA4-01.0003-0204924
#14 UAB4-01.0001-0170834
#24 TENNESSEE3-1.7501-01241062
FLORIDA4-1.8002-11631091
SOUTH CAROLINA2-1.6600-11091091
VANDERBILT1-3.2500-0731101
KENTUCKY1-4.2000-11061784

Head coach Travis Rhatigan spoke to the Media after Wednesday practice about this weekends game and being in the SEC EAST.

On the pressure for this weekend:

"If there is pressure on us I welcome it. We are more than capable of handling it. The pressure is there. Coming into this game, this is what you want. We want to be there getting after it. It's exciting coming into this atmosphere. It's exhilarating. It's something you want to feel. Players are usually more anxious this week in practice. There is more intensity, urgency and anticipation for them to get down there. It's good to be 4-0 headed into this game. This is a special game, but it's even more special when both teams are undefeated in the conference. Guys are working really hard to improve. We still are very inexperienced and have a long way to go, but we feel like we're making tremendous progress"

On what he would like to see from the team this week:
There will be more adversity in this game. I want to see them handle the hype through the week, and I want to see them handle the adversity during the game, and usually in football, it's very much like life. You have some adversity and you have some very positive things. I told them all week you've got to be able to deal with the adversity, because you're going to have a it in a game like this, because Auburn is really good. But positive things are going to happen, too, because you're going to make plays, and if you get up by ten points in a game like this, the game is not over. You have to keep playing. And that's what the players have to understand. Deal with adversity and handle success. We have a little saying that anything that happens, really positive or really negative in an early part of the game like this is an imposter, because don't worry about it. It's a long game and don't let a negative play get you down too much and don't feel too good about positives. Just keep playing, have fun, enjoying it. Very few guys get to coach in this game. I've been fortunate to coach on both sides of it. Very few players get to play in this type of game. So it's kind of like the Rose Bowl. It's a really, really special game to play in for everybody. I want them to enjoy this moment. I think it's really special. Somebody said it might rain, so I don't think either team has been used to a wet ball. So we'll have to get a bucket of water to stick the ball in this week if it rains.

On the quarterbacks’ first Auburn game:

the team that protects the ball usually has the best chance to win. You have to make your big plays. A lot of times in this game, kids try too hard or try to make something happen that's not there and it tends up hurting them. I think you just have to play. So we told Adam (Dyks) to just go out there and play, manage the game and if you see something go for it, but dont force anything. They'll be 90 something fans screaming even louder than at Arkansas so he'll have to stay poised.

On how the young players will handle the atmosphere:

I think they will like it. Most of these players know each other, too. That's the fun part of this game. The players have great respect for each other. Lord, they talk during the week and they pick at each other and it's just that way. Don't forget we were there last year so we know what to expect. The difference is its a noght game so the sounds the goose bumbs the pageantry will be magnified 1000 times.

On the walk through the tunnel at Jordan-Hare after the Eagle flies over:
The walk down the tunnel is really unique. People talk about it for years that have coached and played at this stadium. As you get to the tunnel you hear the roar of the fans bouncing off the inside walls, almost feels like a mini earthquake. Then they tell you its time, will be a great experience to run out to those boos for the players.

On the Auburn Tigers:
[ RB Eddie White]’s really good. He's a tough guy. He's making a lot of yards, protecting the football. He's gaining 95 yards a game, nearly a hundred yards a game and they are throwing the ball so well. [WR Jason] Rhodes is just unbelievable his 6'3 frame and athletic ability makes him a threat. You have to force some turnovers and you have to handle the uptempo offense. It'll be a good challenge for the young guys against this team, upfront there averaging about 6'4 290 on the line so we'll need twist and stunt to get through those guys and pressure the quarterback.
Defensive tackle Jordan Jones plugs the middle so perfect, we'll need to always get a chip on him when we run the ball, I told Adam to always be aware of middle linebacker Mike Johnson. We feel we have some match ups in the secondary that we can exploit so with time and smarts we feel we have an advantage.

INTO THE JUNGLE
8PM KICKOFF
TELEVISED ON CBS
Matchup Preview | September 28, 2013
@
#14 UAB Blazers
(4-0, Away)

#10 Auburn Tigers
(2-1, Home)
Injury Report
CB Darrell Jones
7wks

UAB-
The Blazers come into this newly started Rivalry with a 4-0 record despite the youthfulness of the team. Wins over Virginia Tech and Arkansas have the Blazers at a high level of confidence. Freshmen quarterback surprisingly has led the Blazers on this run. His 1,294 yards and 12 touchdown passes are good for #2 in the SEC. With targets such as Ian Wilson (#2 SEC rec yards) Matt Ford (#3 SEC rec yards) and Ralph Rawls (#5 rec yards) Dyks doesn't have to worry about forcing the issue. Defensively this defensive line has led the the SEC's third ranked defense, in the past three games at least one lineman has grabbed two sacks for the Blazers.
AUBURN- Auburn is coming off a tough road loss to Boise State last weekend 28-21. The Tigers led 21-14 midway through the fourth before collapsing. Auburn will need quarterback Kenneth Fredrick to step it up big time if he the Tigers expect to win. Running back Eddie White is the man that makes this offense go as well he could have a big day. Defensively Defensive tackle Jordan Jones needs a big game, if he can control the line Auburn can control this game.
MATCH UP- UAB has weapons all across the board but the key will be running back Matthew Scott, when Scott is running well Dyks is playing well, it takes the pressure off of him. Auburn will need to make Adam Dyks beat them with their arm. UAB has had trouble with good running back as of late despite their #3 ranking against the run. Its Key for Auburn to get Eddie White going with runs early.

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 10-09-2011 at 01:57 AM.