View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Sundown
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: I cant jump to contest shots ?????????

It appears that this year, block shot isn't really block shot. Sometimes your player will commit and jump. Other times they'll just lazily put up half a hand. I don't know if this depends on the player's defense, how far you are from them, or other factors, but it's aggrivating not being able to block when you clearly command the player to block-- even if it comes late.

Last year the AI blocking assist favored you-- it seems that sometimes if you tapped the block button, but didn't fully commit, and (I'm assuming) your player's defense was good enough, it would do a non-committal half-block if your opponent wasn't actually putting up a shot.

This year's AI assist seems to go *against* you-- even when you want to put up a block, you're still not allowed to block, maybe because your defense is too low, or you're not positioned correctly, or you're too slow-- but too often it just feels like the computer arbitrarily decides you're not going to block.

Also, it feels like blocks lead to fouls a disproportionate amount of time. Has anyone been tracking whether this is realistic-- whether the attempted blocks that turn into fouls approximates real NBA percentages? It feels like 75% percent of my block attempts in the key turn into automatic fouls. Probably not that high but it certainly feels this way.

At times it feels like any block attempt will either:

1. Simply fail to result in a real block attempt.
2. Lead to an automatic foul.
3. Be avoided with an (almost uncanny) cpu pump fake.
4. Be shot over like it wasn't there.

Then if lucky, you might get:

5. The occasional effective contest.
6. A rare block (which I'm fine with).

I'd like to hear opinions of those who are more familiar with NBA block attempts and results and how things should look. I'm more bugged by 1 and 2, because it almost feels like the cpu either artificially hampers you from trying to block shots or punishes you if you do.