View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #64
chia51
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: I'm Lactose Intolerant - Hold the Cheddar and Swiss please: The Good Games Thread

Taken from the 2k forums, none the less:

Quote:
Well, I'm finally figuring out the finer points of playing on-the-ball defense. Given how there are MANY runs on this game, but I'm going to offer my quick advice for online play.

This goes without saying. LIMIT your number of turnovers. In NBA 2K12, turnovers are VERY punishing when compared to NBA 2K11. In NBA 2K11, your average player was scared to shoot jumpers, and any descent OTB player could effectively "lock down" or protect the paint. In NBA 2K12, the points can come from ANYWHERE and very QUICKLY, especially considering how easy it is to shoot 3's and number of available offensive moves this year. I have had runs where I scored 10 unanswered points in barely over a minute.

I normally don't advocate off-the-ball defense, but I suggest "allowing" the AI defender to pick-up the ballhandler during fastbreaks or after made baskets. From there, you can switch to the ballhandler accordingly. For some reason, the collision detection is "weaker" on the perimeter than NBA 2K11. Before I could "bump" the ballhandler to stop their forward momentum. This year...if you attempt body contact, the ballhandler will easily get pass you. With the AI, they're able to position themselves in front of the ballhandler due to the software programming.

(Previously suggested) For double teams on PF/C, switch the option to "Never". Depending on the default coach profiles, too many double teams are coming from and off PGs, SGs, and SFs, and that's VERY dangerous given the number of "good" 3PT shooters. Also, make sure to select "Pressure Shooters" from the COTF screen. As of right now, there are very few people who are utilizing the post moves, so you don't have to worry about post defense as much. With the "Pressure Shooters", AI defenders still with the perimeter players and mostly in front (if they're not screened off) which makes it easier to make a defensive switch to that player and not worry about being "out of position".

Pressing the X button at the right moment is very critical in this game. I gave up on trying to steal the ball in traffic, since there's so much body contact aminations in the paint, and contact shots are rarely go in this year. The best time to steal the ball is when the ballhandler is pushing the ball on fastbreaks. Another time to make an attempt is when the ballhandler is "showboating" on the perimeter with isomotion moves. I watch the ball, and I will make the attempt right at the moment when ball is coming around to the front, and I will push the LS in that direction.

STOP jumping all the time. This requires a lot of discpline, and our first thought is to always make the attempt due to our "fear" of how often players are able to make perimeter shots. Personally, I'm limiting my block attempts to paint shots or on close outs.

Lastly...Manual Double Teams + Hands Up = Best defense. I'm noticing that a LOT of turnovers can be forced (as it should) when you trap a player in the corner, and you DON'T use the steal button. The AI will automatically put their hands up, and it's a perfect time that you do the same. What normally happens is any pass attempts made are thrown into the hands of the defender, and it's just a matter of picking up the ball and finishing the fastbreak. Also, the best double teams are the ones when you switch off the ballhandler and quickly bring over another defender. I would recommend the LB button, but it seems slow and unresponsive at times.

USE your timeouts to kill scoring momentums. It felt more like a placebo effect in NBA 2K11, but it does seem like it genuinely works in NBA 2K12.

Hopefully, this will help you all. I blew out my last two opponents by 20+, and I never felt that he had a "chance" to come back. Now, it's time to get my winning percentage above 70%.