Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #92
wwharton
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I'm certainly not sold on Gabbert's QB rating from Sunday. It was skewed heavily by the wide open 74 yd TD to Hill. Without that throw, he's at 66.9 rating. He hasn't made enough NFL throws. Doesn't throw well beyond 10 yards.

As for Garrard's ratings the last few years, INTs certainly do not tell the whole story. There is so much that goes into them. Garrard threw some bad ones last year, but they were not all his fault. Tipped passes, etc. always contribute to INT totals. Also, Garrard's yardage totals you cite are skewed by his getting injured in the Titans game.

Pro Football Focus grades every player on every play, and INTs are not always assigned as blame to the QB. Also, moving the chains on the ground gets graded positively, and Garrard excelled in that area. Again, I'll just conclude the discussion on my end by saying Garrard is much better than many gave him credit for. Not the best in the league, but certainly more than capable of leading a playoff team with a solid defense and running game.

Anyway, I'm still excited to watch Gabbert develop and hopefully he gets better at making some of the tougher throws that are necessary to succeed in the NFL.
That's still ignoring that it seemed to be a significant decline in Garrard from last year to this year. As I said before, we have no idea what 2011 Garrard looks like. All we know is everyone that does know what he now looks like doesn't want him.