Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
KBLover
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Let's Talk About Football Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Commentary in a football game - I'm torn.

Even when it's great, it's repetitive. When I'm watching real games, I say things before the commentators most of the game. For the most part, I find commentary annoying and when the commentators are exceptionally annoying - I listen to the live radio broadcast or mute it completely.
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. That said, I do want commentary to improve since it's not going anywhere, it is going to be very hard to keep it feeling fresh, especially for the die hard Madden players.

Things that would help, though:

-More situational awareness. Chris Collinsworth should not be saying that a false start is "the defense battling, but it's a big break for the offense" or "A defender trying to do too much and that's a big first down." Just...no. Every TD shouldn't trigger the "he missed on the pick so it was a big gain" commentary chain.

-More awareness of the overall flow of the game. Let's say it's been a turnover-fest. Comments like "if either of these teams could hold on to the ball, they would have an instant advantage".

-More stat analysis, especially at end of quarters/half/games. Highlight a notable stat (I remember NHL 97 would highlight PIM or other stats after each period)

-Awareness of season performances. Not just 1000 yds or such, but something like what Aaron Rodgers is doing (110+ passer rating in 4 consecutive games) something like "If Rodgers can break the 110 passer rating mark in this game, he'll set a new NFL record" during the pre-game of the potential record-breaking game).

-More lines on why guys get open or where it happened because of a mismatch. This happens in the real game and could even help "casual" players understand the game more.

Things I liked and would like to see expanded:

-More DPP commentary. I LIKE what was attempted/done when DPP changes. That is perhaps the smoothest part, except for when it occurs during change of possession (after TD passes or lost fumbles by HBs). It will comment on the DPP change with the other team on the field. Like when a QB gets a TD pass to get his DPP back on track, it'll comment when the other QB is on the field. Perhaps instead, when the TD post-play is going on, comment on how the TD pass appears to have his confidence back, or if it's because of a lot of completions in a row, post-play comment on "looks like he's back in his groove" so it seems more natural and flowing with the action on the field.

-Hot players could get spotlighted pre-game for a potential big day. Cold players could have something said like "he didn't have a particularly good week of practice, but his coaches think he might turn it around on game day."

-Basically, include more and more of the DPP and variances of franchise mode into commentary.

-More Role commentary. I heard for the FIRST time a couple days ago about Adrian Peterson's Fumble Prone role after a 4th quarter would-be fumble (it was overturned). There needs to be MORE role/trait commentary. Comment on how a clutch player might turn around the momentum in the game (and highlight him on the screen with an overlay with his name and game stats), things like that.

-Sideline reporter (even a fake one, as long as she's pretty and has a good voice...er, I mean...) that comments on things like injury status (have the booth throw it to her and she'll comment on the decision the team made on that little menu that pops up).

And above all - have MULTIPLE as in several, lots, many different phrases/chains/one-liners for both commentators in each situation if at all possible.

Last edited by KBLover; 11-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.