View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Let's Talk About Football Commentary

Post before mine have already said it best but to reiterate, copy what 2k has done. I don't really remember NFL2k5 having great commentary but it didn't stand out as bad. I think the you guys should take the "primum non nocere" approach and "first do no harm".

M12 is the first game I can really point to that demonstrates how game affecting, awful commentary can be. Don't over think it, just do what makes sense and feels natural, which should come through in the final product.

One of my knocks on EA/Madden is the perceived lack of willingness to accept that some things have already been done better than what they can do right now. Whether that's by other games or real life mediums, the point is, with those things there is no need to "reinvent the wheel", just copy what works.

Something potentially innovative like DPP, is grounded in trying to simulate the real life differences in the playstyles of each player. However, for something like commentary, take the same approach taken in M12 with broadcast and copy the networks, which NBA2k seems to have laid a video game blueprint for.