View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #359
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

Wed, Sep 3rd 2014
BLAZER WEEKLY

Blazers defense ready for the Horseshoe Challenge:
Birmingham, AL - The Blazers are coming off a huge 72-10 win over rival Troy a week ago where they held the Trojans scoreless the whole second half. This week they head to Ohio State to take on the Buckeye's. Despite Ohio State's upset loss to Navy the Buckeye's proved they could run the ball. This Blazer defense has definitely taken note.
"They have some big boys up front, and they opened up some nice lanes last week." Linebacker Timi McCollum stated.
The Blazers have emphasized stopping the run this week and playing sound defense in a tough environment.
"This is probably one of the tougher environments this team will be in this year." Said Head coach Travis Rhatigan. "It's key to stop the train before it gets going."
Senior Running back Tim Clark is coming off a 1,400 yard season and more importantly a 213 yard game. At 6'0 244 pounds possessing speed (95) and quickness (99) he can break one at any time.
"Its starts with us up front." Senior defensive end Tom Cox said. "We are responsible for staying in our lanes and squeezing the gaps so our backers and defensive backs can make plays."
You can see the Blazers take on Ohio State this saturday at 3:30 on ABC

Rhatigan Speaks to the Media about last week's win:

On what winning the first game means
"I know it sounds like coach speak, but it was important because it was the first game. I actually talked to the team on Monday about enjoying this victory but when we come back Tuesday we have to focus on this week. That one is important because it is the second opportunity to show who we are. It's a big win. It's big for our fans, our community and our university."

On the athleticism of the defense
"It's still early so we can improve, but the experience is definitely there, the guys had fun out there and flew around. I was impressed but dont tell them (Chuckling) I like how Holycross controlled his secondary, they faced a fast paced offensive attack and he made all the right checks and coverage calls.

On the balance of execution
"We talked about establishing a identity, we have so many athletes this year and speed, so we want to spread it around and keep defenses off balance as we did against Troy. Dyks played his best game since being our quarterback and he can only improve from here.

WEEK 2
BLAZERS HEAD TO COLUMBUS FOR
BIG ROAD TEST
Matchup Preview | September 6, 2014
@
UAB Blazers
(1-0, Away)

Ohio State Buckeyes
(0-1, Home)

Head Coach Travis Rhatigan Speaks about upcoming game vs Ohio State:
"We are looking forward to the next test, Ohi State. They are 0-1 overall and obviously Luke Fickell will have those kids ready for us. Ohio State is a very physical team with good speed. I watched them on film no we watched them on film a few times, I dont see how they lost to Navy quite honestly and I told my guys to not over look this team. We understand our work is going to be cut out for us. It is going to be a great test for us. Our football team must focus on that opponent and get ready to play. Again, it is different. It is not the speed nor the ability of the teams we have seen in the past. It is a little more physical brand of football that we are going to have to be prepared for. I look forward to the challenge and enjoy the fact that we are undefeated, and I want to stay that way."

THINGS TO WATCH ON UAB:
  • Adam Dyks, can he handle the crowd and manage the game
  • UAB's defensive line, how will they fair against a big offensive line
  • The linebackers will need to wrap up
  • Can the UAB offensive line keep Adam Dyks protected
THINGS TO WATCH ON OHIO STATE:
  • How will the team bounce back after losing to Navy
  • Ohio State rushed for over 400 yards last week, Tim Clark is key
  • Can Bobby Sanders make plays with his arm
  • Free Safety Darrius Rice will be key to stopping UAB's passing attack

Last edited by gorillapittpray; 12-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.