View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Skarecrow
Rookie

OVR: 2
How to best learn playcalling?

Those of you who consider yourselves excellent play-callers, where/how did you learn? I've been trying to call more and more plays with my current franchise, and while I've had some success, I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. I've spent some time on wikipedia learning what different terms mean exactly, but I'm still not sure where or why I'd want to use a given play.

Examples: why would I want to use cover 3 instead of cover 2? why/where would I want to use either option instead of man coverage? what would make me want to use a quick pass instead of a standard pass? I understand what the idea behind a play action pass is, but where would I want to put it in my rotation, when my opponent expects me to run (3rd and short)? Does the game even pay that much attention to what I have done/should do? And of course vice-versa for counter runs... etc.

Does learning this stuff make a big difference? so far I've done... ok with it. Mostly against mediocre teams. I'm facing the colts this week, and since I'm on a "no-reset" diet (for my own games anyway), I'm afraid that they're going to tear me up even worse if I use poor strategy. My head coach is set to call both offense and defense, and he has a 4/5 strategy and a 5/5 playcalling, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just let him auto-call stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove