View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Mike3207
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: How to best learn playcalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
so what would you say would be the best way to pick plays that are likely to be successful against your opponents tendencies. is there a short-cut way to do it (like having all coaches high on strategy and playcalling, then use "ask coach") or does it require knowing very in-depth football strategy and paying very close attention to your tuesday morning "these are the plays your opponent calls a lot" briefing?
I find that on defense, I can pretty much leave that on auto and the results will be pretty good. Only if I'm up against a really good team, will I have to look at playcalling there. Offense is a bit more complicated. With the less skilled defenses, Ask Coach by itself is sufficient.

With the more experienced coaches, you might look at a combination of gameplans, by success, and Ask Coach. I would think building up playcall and strategy with all coaches is a good idea. If you know the plays and how teams relate to them, by play type is a good idea. I generally don't, so I look at Ask Coach.