View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #447
gorillapittpray
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: "Dragon Breath" A UAB Dynasty (NCAA12)

Photobucket

RYAN RUSS WINS HEISMAN

Associated Press

NEW YORK --In a shocker Ryan Russ wins the 2014 Heisman Memorial Trophy. He became the third tailback to win the award for Texas and the first since Rickey Williams won it in 1998. In a year of shocking moments for the Longhorns who went 13-0 and got left out of the BCS National Title game they somewhat feel this caps off a successful season.
The tough-running tailback turned tearful after winning the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night in the closest vote in the award's 80-year history. Next, he'll try to lead the most storied program in Texas to their first Rose Bowl win since Vince Young. They face the #4 Hawkeye's.

Russ finished 28 points ahead of Georgia Tech running back Lawrence Jenkins. Jenkins, who rushed for 172 yards against the Seminoles in the ACC Championship last weekend was the clear cut favorite. But the numbers came into effect. Jenkins rushed for 2,008 yards and 25 touchdowns for the 12-1 Yellow Jackets, while Russ rushed for 1,753 yards and 20 touchdowns but it was the Longhorns sophomore backup running back and most likely favorite for next year Sam Pace who voters kept bringing up. Pace rushed for 1,511 yards and 13 touchdowns taking carries away from Russ. Most asked what if Russ were to get all those carries?

Nonetheless The sturdy, 225-pound Russ took a moment to get composed before starting his speech. Dressed in a burnt orange suit black pinstripes, his voice wavered throughout.
"I'm a little overwhelmed right now," he said. "I'm just so excited to bring Texas the Heisman. So many people to thanks including my former coach Mack Brown who recruited me and told me I would be great one day. But my offensive line, my new head coach and my under study Sam Pace I cant thank them more. Finally my parents for believing in me letting me play the game I love and following me on this journey."

Here's how the vote broke down:
  1. Ryan Russ Texas (2,120)
  2. Lawrence Jenkins GT (2,098)
  3. Jason Hall Purdue (1,510)
  4. John Williams BC (988)
  5. Chris Neal OU (572)