Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #1511
bkrich83
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
What happened with Philon was unfortunate. I get that. But to be clear, he was not told that he didn't have a place at Bama, he was just asked to delay his enrollment for a few months. He was not left out in the cold with no place to go. The timing could have been better, but that's just the way it is. He declined the offer but at least he still ended up at a decent school. He's still getting a free education with an opportunity to play big time college ball.

That said, it's not like I'm going to vilify Saban for it. I'm not going to call for his head or anything. It's the nature of this business and his job as coach is to bring in the best players that he thinks gives his team the best chances for success. Philon, with the gray-shirt offer was still a part of that plan, but he chose to go elsewhere in the end and I wish him well. The same goes for Taylor.

Whenever a kid verbals to a school, people are always quick to say how it means nothing because that kid can choose to go in a another direction at anytime before he sends that binding LOI in. Well, it goes both ways. Coaches have the right to tell kids "Hey, we're going to go another way on this." You may not like the ethics of it all but like I said, it's the nature of the business. There is no spin required, it is what it is.
I see your point, but this is pretty borderline sketchy. It's another example of many, (not just at Alabama) of how college football has gotten away from what it truly should be about.

If I want cut throat tactics where you can cut players at any time, and it's all about business I can watch the NFL. I realize this is big money for the schools, but there's a line and I think it's being crossed far to often.
Advertisements - Register to remove