Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #1524
auburntigersfan
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Whenever a kid verbals to a school, people are always quick to say how it means nothing because that kid can choose to go in a another direction at anytime before he sends that binding LOI in. Well, it goes both ways. Coaches have the right to tell kids "Hey, we're going to go another way on this." You may not like the ethics of it all but like I said, it's the nature of the business. There is no spin required, it is what it is.
So a 17 or 18 year old kid needs to be held to the moral standing of an adult male football coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
In regards to "4 year scholarships"..

Academic scholarships are annual. If you don't meet the GPA or hours requirements, your academic scholarship can be taken away or reduced. I never see a public outcry over those.

Athletic scholarships should be no different. If you're given a free ride to a school based on your football ability and expectations, then you should be held accountable if you slack off on or off the field. I don't buy into the 4 year scholarship deal. Players shouldn't get free rides if they do not put forth the effort on the field and off the field.
Most of the time kids are punished because of unattainable expectations. That has nothing to do with effort. 4 and 5 star players all have high expectations and yet most don't live up to it. Should a kid be punished because a head coach misevaluated his talent? That's what happens most of the time, and that's why this practice is shady and unethical. If effort was the reason then Alabama seems to have a huge problem with players not giving effort, but I don't think that's the case.