Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #293
Psyblast
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Stanford Cardinal (NCAA 12)

Stanford returns to the Valley of the Sun

September 22, 2015

The state of Arizona has been very kind to Stanford over the years, sending notables like Devon Carrington, Blake Murphy, Drew Terrell, Harold Bernard and Quinn Evans to the Farm, with head man Brian Kudron maintaining the pipeline since he took over in Palo Alto, signing Marcus Davenport, John Arnold, Andrew Edwards, Adrian Turner, and Kyle Davis in his first four classes. Hamilton High School in Chandler has been especially Stanford-friendly, sending Carrington, Terrell and Edwards to the Bay Area.

This year Stanford is back in Arizona, pursuing two of the West's top interior defensive linemen, one of whom attends that same Hamilton High School.

The nation's 14th ranked defensive tackle, Juan Johnson, has been keeping an eye on former high school teammate Andrew Edwards, who is growing into a dominant force on Stanford's D-line. His success has Johnson's interest piqued.

"It means a lot to me, seeing Andrew succeed there," the 6'2, 290-pound Johnson said. "Our coaches at Hamilton have nothing but good things to say about Stanford, they've taken care of our guys up there, so I feel very comfortable with them, and knowing how world-class a Stanford education is, if I can get in, it'd be really hard to say no."

Whereas Edwards is a 350-pound run stuffing nose guard, Johnson is built more in a pass rushing mold. While playing the waiting game with Stanford admissions, Johnson is also hearing from Ole Miss, Oregon, USC, Michigan, Illinois, and others.

Meanwhile, 170 miles to the southeast, near the Arizona-Mexico border in the city of Sierra Vista, is the country's #19 defensive tackle, Carlos Roberts. Roberts is more of a run stopper at 6'0, 316 pounds, and he's developed a friendship with his fellow Arizonian defender.

"Me and Juan have become close friends over the past year or so," Roberts said. "We've met up on the camp circuit a few times, and we were both at the Stanford/Arizona game on Saturday. We've got a lot of the same schools after us, and Stanford's one of them. I think it'd be cool to be teammates in college."

While the Cardinal may be emerging as the favorite for Johnson, the competition for Roberts will be more heated, as the local schools Arizona and Arizona State, along with Cal and Texas, round out his top five.