View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
stcloudgopher
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Was Eli's TD pass possible????

To answer the question, no, that pass is not possible. As was stated above, it would have been picked/knocked down/gone through the defenders chest or, as is the case with many of my slants, thrown on a line 10 yards from the intended target.

But my question is this: how many of the throws you see in any NCAA/NFL game are possible in the NCAA/Madden series? Is Manningham's 4th quarter catch a possible play? No way. That ball had some serious arc and touch, and settled nicely on the sideline hashmarks. Simply not possible in EA's games. And though he didn't catch it, Welker's 4th quarter drop is an impossible play because the receivers can't adjust to something thrown behind them. Granted, that pass is rarely seen in the series, but that's another point (much like the back-shoulder throw that is prevalent in both college and pro ball).

The passing game, and the spread/triple option have passed these games by. I'm not even really complaining about it. Think of when the current-gen consoles shipped. Now think about what was happening in the real-life versions of the sport. In 2006, Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl. The Pats won three of the previous four with Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay winning the other. Not exactly the pass-happy league we have now. (Those NE teams weren't the 5,000-plus yards passing offenses of the current Brady-led Pats.)

The NCAA champs from then? Ohio St., LSU/USC, USC, Texas, Florida. Only the Horns and Gators in 2005-06 had anything resembling a modern offense. The Bucks, Tigers and Trojans all ran pro-style offenses at the time.

Basically, this game was built on what football was from 2002-06. It will likely be next-gen until we see a change that reflects the change on the field. Right now, EA is trying to turn Jim Tressel's playbook into Chip Kelly's.